Crash.Net MOTOGP News
Porto 'caughto', Stoner wins first 250 GP
17 April 2005
Casey Stoner took victory in a thrilling 250cc Portuguese Grand Prix after an audacious last lap pass on fellow Aprilia rider Randy de Puniet.
Sebastián Porto had made an electric start to the race and looked untouchable, but was caught - and then swallowed up by the pack - in the second half as he seemed to suffer a technical problem, eventually crossing the line in ninth.
Meanwhile, in a lead group which featured Andrea Dovizioso, Dani Pedrosa and Alex de Angelis, Stoner made his last lap move around the outside of De Puniet as the Frenchman blocked the inside line in the famous 'Parabolica Interior' corner, before holding on to take his first win in the class.
Dovizioso then mugged De Puniet in the chicane to snatch second place, with world champion Pedrosa happy to take fourth ahead of De Angelis.
250cc top ten – Portuguese GP:
2. Dovizioso (Honda) +0.404secs
3. De Puniet +0.431secs
4. Pedrosa (Honda) +2.009secs
5. De Angelis (Aprilia) +2.204secs
6. Aoyama (Honda) +17.855secs
7. Takahashi (Honda) +17.914secs
8. Guintoli (Aprilia) +23.810secs
9. Porto (Aprilia) +26.407secs
10. Lorenzo (Honda) +45.921secs
Davies (Aprilia) DNF