Bikes » EXCLUSIVE Leon Haslam - Q&A

"The bar goes from my knee to my ankle... They drill the centre of the tibia out slightly smaller than the bar and then hammer it in" – Leon Haslam.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Calvin Chow - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 5:21 AM

Leon said: "With the bone I can, but pain-wise I can't. The bone is still broken. The 10mm bar goes from my knee to my ankle and that supplies the strength and I can walk on the leg without damaging or stressing the bone.

I've got one of the biggest bars available in there with three screws holding it at the knee and two at the ankle joint. They drill the centre of the tibia out slightly smaller than the bar and then hammer it in."

Oh my gosh... Poor Leon!!! Extremely tough times for him. Hope he's recovering well!

RaceFan - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 9:07 AM

You have to admire how tough and dedicated he is to his racing. As James Whitham often says, these guys will be racing quicker than most people will walk, after a break.

Where the bike is concerned, even with LH and JR on the Honda, it's simply not fast enough for them to win races and needs a faster motor. They have both won races before, so come on Honda, give them more bhp! It's not fun watching riders of this calibre making up lost ground on the brakes, just to stay in touch!

The Swooper - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 9:29 AM

This guy can be champion if only the fates align for him, almost made it at Suzuki, but I fear that the Honda may not have the speed. You can see how fast he is by comparing what 250GP WC and MotoGP rider Aoyama did on the Honda and what he is doing in his first year in comparison to Johnny.

Interesting that it was Marco's crew and information which brought the improvement to BMW .

Einar - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 1:53 PM

I love this interviews.
Real questions and real unusually honest answers from the riders.
In this day and age usually the interviews are so superficial because everything rotates around money and keeping the team and the sponsors happy. So you usually never get the honesty.

Keep up the good work Crash, but please take the Crash TV link of autoplay. When I was riding this interview I had to push the stop botton everytime I got to a new pace.

need4speed - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 4:05 PM

Looks really tough. Despite all the family support and bike tech (electronics, computers etc) it doesnt stop the bad crashes. I wish Leon the very best and a speedy recovery.

Marc - Unregistered

May 09, 2013 9:04 PM

It hurt in my leg just reading his story about the surgery installing the rod in his leg. Sounds like a good and honest chap. Hope he heals quick and is able to ride the bike the way he likes. It would be nice to see another rider fighting at the front.

nom nom - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 5:41 AM

I can't begin to comprehend what it must be like to race with a (recently) broken leg and the pain that must come with it. You're a braver man than me Leon! I would be terrified I crashed and re-injured it. Top bloke and a good interview aswell. Crash gets a lot of negative comments but this was top stuff.
Agree on the video auto-play though, it gets annoying.

1 2  »