Bikes » EXCLUSIVE Michael Bartholemy (Marc VDS) - Q&A

"I'm sure that Scott Redding is at a similar level to Marc Marquez... If MotoGP teams are now not considering Scott then I think there is something wrong with the world!" - Michael Bartholemy.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

sokudo - Unregistered

June 05, 2013 11:00 AM

Obviously the headline here is the claim Redding is at Marquez's level, which I think may get some argument.

However I do see a similarity, though with Scott it's too early to tell whether it will similarly translate results-wise. It took Marc a while to get his first victory in the 125s but once he got it, he began on his crusade to the top. Now Redding is in a situation where he has won twice on the trot. I think if Redding begins to become rather imperious like Marc was (and it's looking good atm) then it's worth considering.

ET - Unregistered

June 05, 2013 11:47 AM

Scott has huge talent, and I don't think we have seen his best yet.
No question in my mind every bit as good as MM.
And probably with greater potential because of a bit more weight.........
GO SCOTTY !!!

Whapper - Unregistered

June 05, 2013 11:56 AM

I'm glad the question about Dorna selling MotoGP to BT was in there, I know Michael couldn't answer but it's probably the most important thing to happen to MtoGP in the UK for me. I'm a big fan but won't be able to justify the extra cost to watch.

Does anyone know if recorded MotoGP will be shown on Eurosport too?

mrfill

June 05, 2013 12:07 PM

Interesting interview which needs to be read from beginning to end before commenting - future posters note...

@sokuko - I think the headline will create a lot of argument, based on stats.
MM 125 - 46 starts, 10 wins, 14 podiums
SR 125 - 33 starts, 1 win, 2 podiums

MM M2 - 32 starts, 16 wins, 25 podiums
SR M2 - 56 starts, 2 wins, 10 podiums

I think a fairer comparison is with Stefan Bradl (not such a bad thing) and the biggest change in Scott this year is in attitude. He's now riding like a seasoned pro and the results are coming and hopefully, will continue to come.
As for MotoGP, the biggest problem is likely to be finding a decent ride on a prototype unless someone retires, and that then narrows the field to Ducati.

The greatest disadvantage maybe is that Scott doesnt have the marketing potential that Marquez or Espargaro has to attract big money sponsors and nowadays that is often more important to a team than riding skill. Sad but true.

Jon

June 05, 2013 12:44 PM

A lot is said about Scott's weight- in this interview it says 25kg more than Marquez but where is this coming from?

Sources suggest Scott weighs 74kg and Marquez weighed 57kg- 17kg difference.
With the new minimum weight limit I think he's 12kg over?

Of course it doesn't help but if you listen to Eurosport they make it sound like he's carrying an iron bathtub on the back of the bike.
As far as top speed goes weight has far less to do with it than drag, anyway.

kinmad4it

June 05, 2013 6:55 PM

I don't think you can fairly compare anyone to Marquez, apart from Max and Valentino. His rise through the ranks has been that impressive. I do however believe it's possible to compare Scott to a plethora of other riders who currently ride in the big class. If he carries riding the rest of the season as he currently is now, he should be a shoe in for a prototype ride and as a proud Brit I really hope that happens.

PickleHead

June 05, 2013 7:25 PM

Scott's is not Marquez's level BUT!

Scott makes racing fun to watch whether he's winning or not, so either way win or loose I won't be disappointed when he moves up next year to motogp and looses to Brad and the rest. I will still like him.

Good luck Scott

mrfill

June 05, 2013 8:34 PM

@Jon
Marquez weight is shown on the Motogp site as 59kg (the same as one C Stoner) and, as you say, Redding is shown as 74kg. More recently I saw his weight quoted as 70kg, which is more likely.
Marquez has long been accused of having a huge weight advantage, which is not true, yet Pedrosa, Aoyama and Bautista all weigh less.
Even Kallio is lighter than Marquez but no-one seems to mention that!