BSB » NEC Bike Show declared a success

Motorcycle Industry buoyed by success of The 2009 Carole Nash NEC Bike Show, which attracted the likes of James Toseland, Troy Corser, Bradley Smith, John McGuinness, Charley Boorman, Carl Fogarty, Leon Haslam, Steve Plater and Leon Camier, as well as Gordon Ramsay, James Martin, The Hairy Bikers and Richard Hammond.

alol - Unregistered

December 07, 2009 10:17 AM

I visited on Friday,not bad i suppose although disappointed with the quality of the stands, Honda did'nt even have a stand, no Spies R1/Fiat Yamaha M1 on the Yamaha stand. I felt at one point like i was stood in a helmet factory as wherever i turned there was a stand selling helmets in front of me. Usual NEC rip off prices for entry/parking/food, nice to see that tradition maintained despite the economy.

Austindp - Unregistered

December 07, 2009 10:31 AM

What a load of rubbish this story is. We exhibited at the show this year and along with every retailer we spoke with, we have all seen a vast decrease in our sales this, meaning that we lost money.
I agree this is partly down to the 'global economic' climate but it is also down to the fact that visitor numbers for the show were down 17%. That's nearly 20,000 less visitors this year but did we see a 20% decrease in the cost of our stands, NO!
I can guarantee you that the 2010 show will be even smaller than this year unless the organisers listen to their customers and reduce their costs accordingly, becasue if they don't we won't be there and nor will the majority of 2009 exhibitors!!!

bladeboy - Unregistered

December 07, 2009 10:48 AM

The whole show was a disappointment , the Ducati stand with TWO bikes come on .
If the economy is so bad it is going to take something differant to get the punters in the door next year , I will not be going next year for more of the same .

freddyg - Unregistered

December 07, 2009 11:31 AM

Very disappointed in the show.

Unless the NEC reduce their charges, then the show will die.

I've been going to the NEC shows for years and I, like many others, go for two reasons:

1. to oggle the bikes
2. to pick up a bargain.

The bikes - a few manufacturers made an effort, but where were Honda, Benelli, Aprilia and Ducati (oh, sorry, they had a postage stamp of a stand with 2 bikes!!)?
Bargains - non-existant. I always take a list and do some research on t'interweb beforehand. Everything I wanted could be bought cheaper on-line. Sorry retailers, your costs may have gone up, but my money is going to an anonymous website rather than a real human being.

Taz - Unregistered

December 07, 2009 12:13 PM

Must admit I spent more time ogling women when I went 8 years ago..especially the MCN girl when would tease everyone by flicking her panties in a certain manner.

Seriously tho, it was a bit of a rip of back then and seems to have got worse year on year, I'm a member of a few biking forums and all threads from paying punters from this years show have not been positive.

As someone mentioned, a large degree of back slapping going on with this thread.

Phil - Unregistered

December 07, 2009 12:16 PM

Have to agree with the comments of the above, the show gets worse every year, yet more expensive.
Luckily,i live not far from the NEC,but if i had to travel any distance, i really wouldn't bother.
The smaller traders will be a thing of the past, unless the organisers get their act together.
Compare the attendance figures to the classic bike show at Stafford in october. Over 30,000 people over two days and each year the show gets bigger.
All in all, a poor show, despite what the organisers say.

Windy - Unregistered

December 07, 2009 1:05 PM

Have to agree with most of the comments, this is now a joke to call it a show.
Honda not there, Ducati was it even a stand... But if it's cheaper to have a stand at Milan than NEC and cheaper to get in and no traders selling crap, you understand why. I am going to vote with my feet next year treat the good lady to a short break go to a real show in Milan.

kwikkwak - Unregistered

December 07, 2009 1:07 PM

I have been for the last 5 years i think but this year i didnt go.the price to park is way over the top the food is stupidly high and there are no more bargains to be found.and by the sound of the above comments nothing has changed.with the added news of no Honda stand or Aprilia and a negligible Ducati stand the show holds no enticement for me now

Bladeboy - Unregistered

December 07, 2009 2:07 PM

I went on preview day and have to echo the comments above, I was really disappointed with the whole show.

Was it just me or was the show really small?

I've not been for about 4 years but I can remember going and you needed a full day to get round all the halls, I arrived at 10am and had left by 2pm.

I really wanted to see the new VFR1200 with a view to buying one, but there was no Honda stand.

To the trader above saying he lost money....

I had a pocket full of cash for a new lid and jacket but the prices were too high, not sure if this was because it was the preview day or not but most things were cheaper online (joys of having an iphone to check prices)

I wont be going next year.

1 2 3  »