BSB » Consistent Glen Richards seals BSB EVO title

Glen Richards claims the second-ever British Superbike EVO Championship as his WFR Honda team dominate proceedings.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

pp916 - Unregistered

September 27, 2011 11:50 AM

How does that work then????
Look at the overall classification for BSB superbike races and Gowland is ahead of Richards by 13 points (67 against 54) but somehow that is turned into Richards ahead of Gowland by 82 points (403 against 321) WTF??????????
Much as I like Glen and admire his racing skills this can't be right & just....I know it must be another anomoly of the stupid scoring system that has also had an effect on EVO but I can't see a rational explanation and can't be ars*d to do the tedious and unnecessary research to find out.....when this was announced at Silverstone on Sunday there were a lot of bewildered faces in the crowd, especially having witnessed Gowland win his 10th race....does anybody have a simple explanation?

whynot - Unregistered

September 27, 2011 1:44 PM

the evo championship is seperate to the main championship. the evo riders have an 'E' next to their name but can still score points in the main championshp, so those 403 points were for evo championship only nothing to do with the main one

graeme has won 9 of the last 10 evo races but missed the first 3/4 round through injury. that was when glen racked up a few wins and was always on the EVO podium he's been very consistant just unfortunate for gowland he got injured

for example graeme came 6th in the first race and glen came 13th but was they were 1st and 2nd evo in the evo race, meaning they still get points for the main championship but get their evo points for that seperate championship, graeme being 1st of the evos gets 25 points and glen 2nd 20 points. thats how the evo championship works.

pp916 - Unregistered

September 27, 2011 1:57 PM

Sorry whynot, nodded off part way thro' that......so the best man won right?

No, I didn't think so......

At least next year if they persist with this dumb scoring system there'll only be one class of bike which will make it marginally less tedious and frustrating.........but will anybody be interested by then?

whynot - Unregistered

September 27, 2011 2:17 PM

i didnt say the best man won did i...??? gowla didnt win the championship cos he missed 4 rounds injured thats why!!! he has proven his quality when he's been fit and finally people are giving him the credit he deserves

the points scoring is tedious i agree but the racing is f8vking brilliant at the minute, surely u cant be whinging about that!! if u understood the evo championship u would understand why glen is champion!!

RevLimit - Unregistered

September 27, 2011 2:45 PM

I wouldn't say that Glen is the best rider in Evo but he was consistent and he and the team deserves the championship.

Have to agree that the points system in Evo and BSB is pathetic which makes the championships a joke but the races, in all classes, have been superb this year.

pp916 - Unregistered

September 27, 2011 3:02 PM

I enjoy ALL the racing, even when occasionally a rider disappears over the horizon ans anihilates everybody else I still enjoy it because I'm watching a rider performing at an exceedingly high level....and there's always still good racing going on behind.
It doesn't take a contrived scoring system to create good racing, it exists already.
And I do know what EVO is all about, I was being facetious...but if this system was working as it was intended then surely the Richards/Gowland sortout should have gone down to Brands. Not checked but I'd be curious to know how if it would have under a normal system.

The Doc - Unregistered

September 27, 2011 4:36 PM

I think the fact that he won it with 3 races left makes him a deserving champion, everybody is quick to forget how quickly things can go wrong and turn around ie Ben Wilson and I think you'll find that Glen understands this and if he's been riding at 95% to win a championship so what, isn't that part of the game in the old scoring system, also give credit were credit is due he was air lifted out of brands last year with a broken shoulder, back, ribs and a punctured lung not mention the year before loosing his brakes and breaking his femur, so a championship win after that is a good win IMO

The Doc - Unregistered

September 27, 2011 4:56 PM

Just to add to my last post, everyone is going on about Gowland which is fair enough he is in form but everyone has forgotten about Simon Andrews I think he would of been in with a shout had it not been for his crash at snet, which was not his fault, but you could also say that Tommy Hill would of won the bsb last year if not for his crash at oulton at the last round, I bet Ruban Xaus would of won a few championships if he didn't crash

pp916 - Unregistered

September 27, 2011 5:26 PM

@ The Doc.....

Like I said previously, I was being facetious...I admire Glen Richards immensely, I am fully aware of his history, injuries etc and that he is intelligent & experienced enough to manage a championship over a whole season.
What I'm trying to do is highlight the deficiencies in a mixed up scoring system that leaves Joe Punter wondering what is going on and a format tailored to force the finale down to the last event, where in this case its fizzled out after only the second event of the 3....simple as that.
And as a side issue of this format the EVO class becomes even more overlooked than it already is.

Sick Cylinder - Unregistered

September 29, 2011 10:22 AM

I pity any newbies reading this thread because they will be mighty confused.

The Evo class points are not odd and have not been manipulated - that accusation only applies to the top six shootout in BSB. The Evo class is still a normal championship with 25 points for a win and the winner being the rider with the most points over a season.

Glen Richards has 403, Gowland 321, Burrell 290 and Muff 246 (sorry I just like saying Muff!).

Because the Evo class takes place at the same time as BSB the riders score points in BSB based on their finishing position. When Gowland has won Evo races he has finished higher in BSB races overall than Glen Richards hence in the BSB standings Gowland has 67 and Richards 54.

1 2  »