BSB » Hill ‘gobsmacked’ by dramatic title win

The Swan Yamaha rider kept his cool after Hopkins passed him into the final corner to out-drag him to the finish line, and therefore the title.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Martin - Unregistered

October 10, 2011 9:55 AM

Big congrats to Tommy! This could not have happened to a nicer guy. Amazing race that had me on the edge of my seat.

These races is the very reason I watch the bikes, definitely one for the history books.

I do feel gutted for Hopper though, but in the end of you had to win it..

Best ever BSB season!

Paul46 - Unregistered

October 10, 2011 10:04 AM

Awesome race... no shame in missing out on a title that way. No fairer way to decide a champion either in my opinion. Hopper was totally gutted and I don't blame him, but to come to a series and learn all new circuits and push the likes of Tommy Hill and Shane Byrne the way he has shows his talent. Tommy and Shakey could beat anyone in the world on the BSB circuits, of that I have no doubt. Great season, and a deserved championship for Tommy.

Don-R

October 10, 2011 10:14 AM

I don't know what it is about Suzuki but you always get the feeling they'll manage to blow it right at the end. All the way back to Walker's bike letting go when up against Hodgson at Donington. Seems like the Suzuki curse.

That said, Tommy rode a great race and did what he had to do when the opportunity was there. If Hopper had been a bit more aggressive with Ellison it might have gone a different way, but that's all ifs buts and maybes. Hill got the job done when he needed to, and that's what champions do. Congratulations to him.

mike hunt - Unregistered

October 10, 2011 10:17 AM

Hill beat someone of note (Hopkins) not just the usual BSB riders - that makes his win and his talent undispuable.

As others have written, If Hopper goes to Motogp or WSB in 2012 then so should Tommy as he has nothing left to prove in BSB as another season in the UK would do him no good.

Although it may seem hollow, commiserations to Hopper he proved that he has overcome his demons and is an awesome competitor.

On the right bike and with the right team he could win the WSB title and be top 3 in Motogp.

Paul46 - Unregistered

October 10, 2011 10:35 AM

I was at the circuit and have not heard all the interviews... Kirkham did a team job, the best he could have done by taking a place from Hill. Same as Laverty finishing ahead of Hopper on Saturday. I am sure some things in interviews are said out of frustration and nerves when there is so much on the line, I personally wouldn't read too much into it. Hopkins didn't give the greatest interview after missing out on the title, I don't blame him. I wouldn't want a microphone shoved in my face expecting wonderful answers straight after that! At the end of the day we got to see the best title shootout since Bayliss/Edwards 2002 at Imola. This, I think, was much better!

bill - Unregistered

October 10, 2011 11:46 AM

. The build up was brilliant with the NON factory bike of Ellisons holding Hill and Hopper up for almost the entire race. Brilliant riding James

Jon

October 10, 2011 2:28 PM

I was at Brands both days and it was a thrilling final race- I'm not going to take anything away from that, and Tommy was awesome to hold his nerve....

...but if we didn't have the showdown format, how would've the top 3 finished?

(I'm just curious, it's nothing concrete- who's to say that people would've ridden harder/easier, crashed or not crashed?
Just a hypothetical exercise.)

iRONIC - Unregistered

October 10, 2011 3:42 PM

Congrats to Mr Hill.. i only hope that he doesn't go the same way as Crutchlow did and try to be a jack the lad.. signs were there a bit in the post race 2 interview. don't expect any favours from other riders just because you are going for a championship. there are many factors to winning a title and they go both ways. a 50 quid sensor maybe gifted Hill the title, so lets not get carried away. as for Hill in WSB sorry no chance, there's not enough rides available. and motogp Ha Ha thats got to be a joke !! Well done on the win though..

paul joiner

October 10, 2011 4:30 PM

"At the end of the day we got to see the best title shootout since Bayliss/Edwards 2002 at Imola. This, I think, was much better!"

So far as superbike races go it was indeed a good race but no where near the WSBK duel of Bayliss vs. Edwards at Imola in 2002 or the Spies vs. Haga race no. 2 at assen 2009. Big ups to Tommy Hill and Johns Hopkins for class on and off the track.