BSB » Jessopp returns to BSB, switches to BMW

Martin Jessopp will ride a RidersMotorcycles.com BMW S1000RR in the 2013 MCE British Superbike Championship, it has been announced.

Jon M - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 10:07 AM

He says the BMW is a proven package in BSB but I thought just the opposite?
Yes, it's a great 'stock bike thanks to the engine but it's nowhere near the Japanese bikes in BSB trim.

TD - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 11:03 AM

Im not British and I dont follow Martin Jessopps career, but he seems to me like a rider who changes team and calss or even championship every single year, never gets any kind of results but still manages to get a ride for nex season. Am I wrong?

Bam Bam - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 11:10 AM

@TD, he hasn't really changed all that much.

RidersMotorcycles.com is owned by his relation (I'm assuming his father?) so they've always been together throughout his career. He raced a Riders-backed Ducati between 2008-2011 (first Cup, then main class) and has at least shown progress in results.

He only moved to WSS in 2012 under the Riders PTR banner, so in effect he has always had the same people around him.

Brewster - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 11:26 AM

It's a shame we won't see him on that weapon of a Duke. I still don't understand how he can notch up the fastest top speed at the NW 200 on it, yet in WSBK they have struggled with top speed for years. Anyone have any idea? Different regs??

David - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 12:32 PM

Well one things for sure he cant make any excuses now can he,the bikes been proven he's got his top crew cheif he said in mcn so look out shaky and kiyo jeesops coming to get you

Jon M - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 1:01 PM

I can see the majority disagree with me about the BMW!

Looking at BSB this year in the top 20...
Kawasaki: 1st, 9th, 10th
Suzuki: 2nd, 13th
Yamaha: 3rd, 8th
Honda: 4th, 5th, 7, 11, 12, 15, 16

BMW:6th, 14th, 17, 18, 20

I just think it's misleading to call the bike a proven package and say Martin has the under him to challenge the top 6.
Yes Bridewell did it, but when he was riding that RR7 Honda people were talking like he was the second coming and with a new bike he'd win BSB. Ok, he's not that good but he does have plenty of ability. I think the BMW is more a mid-pack bike with its current stage of development.

ellis - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 5:15 PM

I notice he put bikes not bike, with a one bike rule can only presume a team mate, maybe Rutter as he brings bathams with him and has done well with the team before.

Sick Cylinder - Unregistered

January 09, 2013 7:58 PM

@Ellis - if he has a team mate it won't be Rutter as Rutter signed for the Honda Legends team.

Re the BMW - Tommy Bridewell showed what the bike is capable of and that is to get into the top 6 showdown with a consistent rider, however I would be surprised if Jessop acheived that as I think he is not as talented as Tommy.

1 2  »