BSB » Alex Lowes disqualified for Byrne collision

Alex Lowes is disqualified from the results of the second MCE British Superbike Championship race following his collision with main title rival Shane Byrne.

TalentFan

September 24, 2013 5:59 PM

@ Dreaduk. Been riding a Loooong time off road and on road. Your contention that Lowes always stood likely to come off worse is I'm afraid rubbish. At the pace and force of impact and the transfer if kinetic energy from loses bike into Byrnes while already leaned over means that Byrnes gets a load more force throwing home off track while Lowes experiences an opposite force helping his bike stay ON track. Which was what happened.

Think Newtons cradle for the basic idea of kinetic energy transfer. I didn't need to be trackside or be on either bike to be able to join the dots and work it out. Lowes had a chance in that scenario to stay on and did. Byrne never had a hope of staying on after a hit like that in a corner.

TalentFan

September 24, 2013 6:08 PM

@ Dreaduk. As for the Haga / Bridewell incident. Yes TB was at fault. But he also crashed and would gain no advantage over Haga.

Also TB had already passed and then lost the front. The bike then taking out the innocent NH. Lowes whacked hard into Byrne before the apex of the corner and there was very hard contact.

The 2 crashes are different and the potential consequences and outcome for those involved were different.

I like Lowes but for him to be allowed to gain points over a rival as a direct result of a move like that would have been a travesty.

Now neither rider has profited so I can't see why you have such a bee in your bonnet over the decision. Don't have a few quid on Lowes down the bookies do ya?

Davetherave

September 24, 2013 9:02 PM

Mmm a hard pass but Shakey was always wide in this corner in race #1.

I clearly believe that Alex thought that Shakey wouldn't be so close to the kerb when he pointed the Samsung Honda at the kerb edge. Check Shakey on race #1 footage. He was wide almost every time on this corner.

At the speeds that these guys run at at that point on the track, you cant just change your mind 1 second before you get to the corner. Alex thought that the track in front would be clear, it wasn't!

It looked wreckless on the tv footage but you have to do a few laps at their speeds to understand how difficult it is to change direction or speed in race mode.

If you want to see wreckless see Brookes VS Rutter at Cadwell Park 2011. Rutter was left with I recall broken ribs and/or collarbone. That was a premeditated pass and the consequences were going to be clear for the unsuspecting Rutter.

I've defended Lowes to some degree but I also think that for the championship the penalty was fair. As both riders sh

DamZen1

September 24, 2013 10:45 PM

Penalty taken without appeal, enough said then.
The crash was a racing incident but for the intrest of racing and the championship I think Alex and Samsung have rolled over to play the fair game.

I still got Alex to lift the trophy. Both Alex and Sam are riding like fire with both fires are being fanned by the results of each brother.

herewego

September 25, 2013 8:15 AM

I don't agree at all with this decision! If it had been any other rider other than Shakey, then I seriously don't think Alex would have been disqualified! It was a harsh move, but there had been loads of other moves just as harsh in the previous laps and in the first race, the only difference here is that Shakey came off! To me, race direction just wants to keep the "showdown" alive, which, if Alex had kept his first place, or even just had points deducted would not have been the case - it would probably been all over! This is racing, and these lot were going at it like there was no tomorrow! Alex is not a dirty rider, he took a risk! Is that not what it is all about at this stage in the game!!!

thedraken

September 25, 2013 3:46 PM

I do not agree with the punishment against Lowes, yes it was a hard move but this is bike racing at a high level, in race 1 shaky went wide on that corner leaving a gap that lowes took advantage of, after the race shaky said he had a plan, clearly taking a different line through that corner. He appeared to go out wide on the entry then cut back in expecting Lowes to try a pass there, I believe lowes saw him go wide as he had done in race 1 and went for the gap, only to find the door closed on him with the inevitable result, it was too late to change his line at that speed. You could be cynical and suggest shaky had planned to block Lowes at that point.To me it was a racing incident by 2 hard chargers both trying to win a championship. I am an ex racer myself who has been an official at a numerous race meetings. This stupid end of championship shootout did not help, the organisers must be loving the situation now, 1 point between the top 2 riders and JE closer behind, to me that must ha

DamZen1

September 25, 2013 5:28 PM

The damning evidence from Elisons bike camera used to disqualify Alex has been posted on youtube,myself its still a racing incident but it's worth a look.

I spotted this when searching on youtube.
motor bike 6 cylinders : incredible sound by Guy Coulon
Also worth a look.

thedraken

September 25, 2013 11:07 PM

Just seen the you tube clip, shaky left a gap and Lowes went for it only to find it shut on him, its a racing incident, Lowes should not have been stripped of the win. This is a blatant attempt by the organisers to tighten up the championship, its business not sport that made the decision.

Andiamo

September 26, 2013 12:42 AM

So how many d n f has ellison had through mechanical breakdowns but is still proving to be a top racer by getting into the showdown, had his bike not broke down AGAIN at assen on Sunday, then being in the lead for the whole of the race he would have been in the lead in the showdown, A deserving contender for the title

« 1 2 3 4 5 6  »