BSB » Mallory Park eyeing BSB return

Mallory Park is seeking to regain a place on the British Superbike Championship calendar in 2015.

LLarry

July 04, 2014 3:34 PM

The track is perfect?
Uhm, short, boring, lots of nasty little chicanes, bumpy worn-out surface.
The facilities are excellent?
WHAT facilities? There aren't any! Certainly not for the spectator.
The only thing Mallory Park is first rate for are the fly infestations coming off the lake in the summer.
It even makes Knockhill look sophisticated.
Mallory is a nasty little place best confined to history.

whitehead

July 05, 2014 10:14 AM

Make it a true British Championship, rounds in all he home countries.
The Welch and N Irish fans never get to see their home grown riders unless they go to England or Scotland. Some friends of mine, who I meet years ago at the Ulster GP, come over at a minimum cost of £300 each and that's just to go to Knockhill.

LLarry

July 05, 2014 12:11 PM

whitehead: Make it a true British Championship, rounds in all he home countries.

Problem as always is money.
The tracks have to pay a large sum to host an event and if they don't get the crowd then they lose money. Mondello used to do rounds some years ago but it was largely funded by the Irish Tourist Board & when that funding dried up that was it.
Essentially BSB is now the MSV tracks championship with a couple of other circuits thrown into the mix.

johnny13

July 07, 2014 11:07 PM

Although Mallory was the place for one of the the most amusing pieces of motorcycle racing crashing Ive ever seen.

Josh Brookes outbraking pretty much the top 6 to take out the race leader Simon Andrews (RIP#17) was just bizarre. That weird walled hairpin was bloody hard to ride round as was gerrards, the scene of the demise of my first R6.

Not saying its worth having back as I think Anglesey is a much better track, in fact Im not sure castle combe or darley moor arent better lol

qwerty1

July 08, 2014 1:39 PM

Johnny13
Your comment may not have been a deliberate one to sound anti MSV? Not sure, hopefully not as we would likely have said goodbye to Cadwell many years ago otherwise, amongst others, but either way it is probably safe to assume why MSV hasn't snapped up Mallory Park.
As much as I like it's charm for the usual track layout, unless they can majorly increase run off to rid us off the stupid new chicanes for when BSB run, it doesn't make a good spectacle for racing really.
Not to mention awful pits!! They are more of an open latrine!
Anyway, good luck to Mallory generally as I want it to remain open. And some guys who had the b@lls got together to save it.

Peter Light

July 16, 2014 8:56 AM

I am a fan of Mallory and think it is a great track for club meetings and the like but it is not up to BSB in my opinion due to the safety concerns, the facilities for s large crowd and the lengh of the circuit.
Brands is just about my favorite track but I also think that the Indy circuit should not be used for BSB either again due to its length (ditto for Knockhill). I know they can't use the GP circuit as and when they want but I think a 3rd of the rounds at one circuit is not quite right in any case.
Ideally I would like to see 12 rounds at 12 different circuits (even though I love Oulton).
My fantasy BSB season would be (no particular order):

Brands GP
Outlon
Cadwell
Snetterton
Silverstone
Donnington
Assen
Thruxton
Anglesey (work required but could be up to the job)
Rockingham
Castle Combe (A couple of corners that need runoff work which would also allow them to get rid of the Bybrook chicane.
Circuit of Wales (If it ever gets built!)