We didn't threaten to leave the championship, but there was a lot of discussion and anger in the decision that MSVR made. We believed it was wrong then, we still do now. It isn't whether the penalty should have been introduced, but certainly the timing and amount of weight. We have put it behind us though because if you want to play the game, you have to accept what it thrown at you, which we have. We kicked up at the time but the bottom line is we are out to win a championship. To the Dice's of this world, it looks like it hasn't made a difference, but Leon and Shane have mentioned how sluggish the bike feels. Both thought they thought they had street bike engines in, which is purely down to the extra weight the engine is trying to push. I don't want sympathy, but it has made a difference and we will get on with it.
GSE Racing were expected to be amongst the teams to be competing as a wild-card in the forthcoming World Superbike rounds. Why was the decision taken no to go?
We would have loved to have competed at Brands Hatch or Donington Park, but we don't have the engines available. It would have taken a major change to the engines to fit with the Superbike rules, because our engines are not as quick as the World Superbike engines. There would be little point in taking part if we weren't competitive. If we were confident of a good result, then we could have gone. I can already hear people saying 'you don't want to go because you won't win', but they are right. We want to go out and win and we wouldn't be able to do that with the current engine specification that we've got.
Further to something Shane Byrne told Crash.net
, are GSE Racing considering a return to the World Superbike Championship soon?
What Shane said at Mallory was absolutely correct. We hope in the next six to eight weeks to be able to confirm or approach Shane regarding 2009. We don't know what direction that will be, whether it is British or World Superbikes and quite a big say will come from Airwaves, but we are looking forward to that discussion. I told Shane myself, if he is approached by a factory team, then we would love it for him to get into a discussion with them. If wanted to go, then we would happily let him go. Having said that, I think Shane is going to wait for GSE Racing to decide what they are doing next year because I know both riders are happy where they are.
Would you only be happy to go into World Superbikes as another satellite Ducati team, together with Sterilgarda, or would you consider taking on a new project?
We consider everything. I am the team manager of GSE Racing, but it will be down to Darrell Healey and Airwaves to make the final decision. My job is to win this year's championship and that's what we are concentrating on. I speculate and wish for things like everybody does, but for the moment I am only interested in winning this championship.