Shane Byrne says he felt like going home after Friday practice due to set-up problems on his PBM Kawasaki ZX-10R but battled on to take underwhelming sixth and fourth place finishes at Cadwell Park.

The defending MCE British Superbike champion's troubles from Thruxton last time out appeared to continue at the Lincolnshire track after being considerably off the pace during the free practice sessions and missing out on the top ten shootout in qualifying.

Byrne, who secured a Showdown spot at Thruxton, recovered to notch up two points finishes but leaves round eight without adding any additional all-important Podium points. To compound the matter, his closest rival for the BSB title Josh Brookes took a clean sweep of wins to overhaul Byrne's Podium credits advantage - with Brookes moving on to 45 and ahead of the four-time BSB champion's 41.

Related Articles

"It's really difficult to be positive if I look just at my results but at the same time if I look back to where I was on Friday when I just wanted to go home because I wasn't feeling it at all, then I have to think that we have made some decent steps forward," Byrne said. "The team worked so hard for me this weekend to try and find the solutions but we still aren't where we should be.

"Obviously I don't go racing for fourth and sixth places and neither does the PBM team, and right now we need a bike that can win again."

PBM Kawasaki technical director Phil Borley says he suspects Byrne's problem with the ZX-10R may be related to the chassis and the team will undergo a thorough investigation ahead of the triple-header at Oulton Park, which acts as the final round before the Showdown.

"It's been another difficult weekend where we haven't been able to give Shakey a bike he feels comfortable and confident with," Borely said. "We made some changes on Friday and Saturday and eventually he did get some improvement but it's still a long way off where any of us want to be.

"We're now going to assess the bike and we think maybe there is a problem with the chassis. We will investigate this further and get it sorted out ahead of Oulton Park."