Just four days after the bike was fired up for the first time, Leon Camier has given the Airwaves Yamaha R1 a superb victory on its British Superbike Championship debut at Brands Hatch.

After missing out on a podium in the first race following an off, the 22-year-old made amends in race two by stalking his way into contention with a series of impressive overtaking manoeuvres.

However, it is race one winner Sylvain Guintoli who leaves Brands Hatch leading the championship after battling to second position following another tardy getaway.

Related Articles

Indeed, the Frenchman was looking to make a better start from pole position than he did in the first race, but he was once again forced back into fifth position as the riders shuffled into Paddock Hill Bend.

Instead, Easton, now back on his main bike after reverting to his spare machine for the first race, emerged in front at Druids, ahead of Steve Plater, although Karl Harris would make it a Hydrex 1-2 by the end of the opening lap when he swept into second place at Graham Hill Bend. Richards followed in fourth, with Guintoli fifth and Camier sixth.

Camier was swiftly on the move though, capitalising on Guintoli's failed pass on Richards at Surtees to dip beneath the Frenchman at Clearways with a move that would quickly prove to be his signature attack. Although Guintoli would fight back down the home straight, Camier would simply re-pass at Druids.

From here, Camier quickly descended on Harris, who was now down to fourth after being passed by Plater and Richards, and relieved him of the position at Druids, before going on to overtake Richards on the same lap at Clearways.

Plater was Camier's next prey, passing on lap 12 out of Clearways, again, to set off in pursuit of Easton, who was continuing to run an impressive pace out at the front after establishing a comfortable margin between himself and his rivals.

However, with Easton's tyres beginning to fade, Camier took only four laps to get onto the tail of the Hydrex Honda, where he promptly harassed him until lap 19 when he kept a tight line through Clearways and forced Easton to sit up slightly.

With a clear track in front, Camier promptly surged away from the chasing pack, crossing the line two seconds clear of second place man Guintoli to score a fine victory for a bike that GSE Racing team manager Colin Wright insists is only '75 per cent' towards its full potential.

Guintoli, meanwhile, launched a similar recovery to Camier after losing considerable time getting bottled up behind Harris in the battle for fourth. Taking 12 laps to bridge the gap to the podium fight, Guintoli caught and passed Richards for fourth on lap 20, before immediately launching his attack on Plater for third.

Swapping positions three times over three laps, Guintoli finally made his move stick on lap 24 at Graham Hill Bend before taking just three more laps to catch Easton and overtake at Paddock Hill Bend.

Easton would also lose out to Plater, who added to his trophy haul less than an hour after he finished second in the immediately preceding Supersport race.

Nonetheless, Easton held off Richards for fourth to complete a successful weekend on his Hydrex Honda, while Harris held on to sixth, despite being unable to sustain the pace he had shown through free practice.

James Ellison completed a good day for the Airwaves team in seventh when he passed Chris Walker and Gary Mason in closing stages following a race-long battle. Walker would also get the better of Mason eventually, although the latter would again come away with Cup glory.

Julien Da Costa his first top ten result in tenth, ahead of MSS Colchester Kawasaki team-mate Simon Andrews, while Jason O'Halloran, John Laverty, Tristan Palmer and Graeme Gowland completed the points winning positions.