BTCC » Thompson wins as Collard shines

Neil Sheffield

June 01, 2009 10:16 AM

Well said Jeremy.
He's always the 1st to moan like hell when someone does it to him, yet it's 'Only Racing' when he does it to someone. It never seems to be his fault!. He could at least admit it was an accident.

Smokin' Jo. - Unregistered

June 01, 2009 11:49 AM

Could not agree more guys! Surely this has happened far to many times for the authorities not to have taken steps to penalise him.What must other teams be saying,many with far less cash than Vauxhall? I used to be a big fan of Neals but lost respect for him for his actions against Plato at Thruxton 2007 when he prevented Plato from attacking Giovanardi and a couple of hours later it was announced he had signed to drive for Vauxhall!!

DP - Unregistered

June 01, 2009 4:06 PM

Alex, I don't think that's entirely fair. I used to be a big fan of Matt Neal's when he was independent back in the day, but of recent years, he's developed a real knack for running into the back of people to get past. He seems to have a thing for the back of the Beemers too, knowing that they can't control it like a FWD car.

I'm all for contact racing, as without it touring cars wouldn't be as exciting to watch. It should be fair though, and surely some of his moves count as avoidable accidents. Look at Colin Turkington for example - second in the championship yet I don't think there's a cleaner racer in there.

Even Plato seems to be cleaning his act up in recent times!

Alex - Unregistered

June 01, 2009 5:29 PM

@ DP

Well if that's the way to pass giving a little notch then I am OK with it otherwise we could watch WTCC instead

But NEAL isn't that dirty . I mean look he had plenty of chances to push PLATO or out of the way and he didn't. Actually I think there a lot more "wilder" drivers out there. I mean look at guys such as Jelley or Vaulkhard who actually pushed GIO out of the way for good :rolleyes:

And Plato is perhaps more caution this time because he is running for a private team and damage is expensive

DP - Unregistered

June 01, 2009 7:46 PM

You could well be right about Plato, but whatever it is, it's nice to see.

I'll give you he's not as dramatic as Vaulkhard's push on Gio. Not sure what to make of Jelley - I think what he did at Brands was revenge for the shunt Collard gave him at Druids (I was there and it was quite a hit!) - doesn't make it right, but don't think Collard can go home crying either.

The thing with Neal is how repeatedly he does it - I don't think a weekend has gone past this year when he hasn't pushed quite hard on the back on a BMW in order to get it out of the way.

I think the WTCC would be alright if the tracks were narrower and the FIA stopped interfering! Though they did hit the safety car!

Racergurl64 - Unregistered

June 02, 2009 6:17 AM

@DP
I was at Knickerbrook this weekend marshalling! Jelley gave Pinkney a little tap coming in on the last lap, and a slightly bigger one on the way out. nothing major though. Pinkney came back onto the track and completely wiped out Jelley - and ironically took himself out of the race too! I picked the bits up off the track! There was a lot of red mist about at the weekend. I agree about Plato cleaning up his act - God knows its about time - and think its the right reason too, privateer car! Saying that though, Matt Jackson likes a little shove or two!