BTCC » YourRacingCar teams with AmD for 2011

Fan-funded venture YourRacingCar joins forces with AmD Milltek Racing for the 2011 BTCC season

GuzziHero

October 06, 2010 9:32 AM

I hate to say it but I will... the decision to run a small single car outfit with a car they had to develop themselves with no known baseline was about the most disastrous mistake it was possible to make.

I wish them well but I can't see this outfit getting anywhere.

Shaun Hollamby - Unregistered

October 06, 2010 2:01 PM

I hate to say it but I will...the decision to run a small single car outfit with a car that we had to develop ourselves with no known baseline was the best thing I have ever been involved with! We always said that there was more to this project than buying an up and running racing car and entering races.
We have completed the season and have most of the budget to compete in 2011. There are lots of main stream race teams who cannot say the same?
We have a 2.0turbo engine development programme up and running for 2011 and considering we were only suffering from a lack of straightline speed we might surprise a few people in 2011? At most circuits we were comparable to Team AONs' first seasons lap times and look what happened to them?
I have found that in life there are people that Do and people that Talk? I think we are in the former category. How about you?

JKMarshal - Unregistered

October 06, 2010 3:50 PM

Shaun, thats a fantastic attitude to have. It has been great to have VW back in the BTCC, great to have a project like this to add some variety and flavour to the championship and exciting to see the developement of this car! Plucky privateers giving the big boys a run for their money is a huge part of the attraction of the BTCC, and as you pointed out, AON were by no means a quick car last year, so you have every reason to push as hard as possible to make your car more competitive. Great to see that the budget is in place (almost!) and look forward to seeing you with a more highly-developed car next season! Best of luck.

Ayjay

October 06, 2010 4:27 PM

Added to what you have already said Shaun, it was also refreshing to see a vehicle that was not run of the mill !! every success to you and the team. I look forward to seeing the progress in 2011.

GuzziHero

October 06, 2010 10:23 PM

I appreciate your reasoned response, Shaun.

And I do appreciate the effort you and the team have put in to preparing a great looking car.

I just feel that the challenge you have set yourselves is too difficult for a small team running only one car. Running two, then I would have more assurance that the team had a big enough team and infrastructure to progress.

But of course, I cannot see what resources and backing you have, so I am not seeing the whole story.

I meant what I said at the end, I do wish you guys well, and I sincerely hope you can prove me wrong!

GuzziHero

October 06, 2010 11:23 PM

Oh, just to add (and no, I am not butt-kissing!), your dedication and attitude are very impressive. And I hope you do not feel that I was 'knocking' you or the team, I understand that it takes an awesome amount of work not just from an engineering standpoint but also from a marketing/PR standpoint to get a team even close to BTCC.

Plus of course your own considerable abilities to reach such a level of motorsport.

I wish I had had the background, the finances, the opportunities to have been a race driver. Maybe I would have been successful, maybe I would not. It takes a lot more than just skill to succeed. So yes, I am a talker and not a do-er. If circumstances had been different... who knows?

All the best to you and team AmD for the rest of this year, and for the future.

chrischats - Unregistered

October 07, 2010 12:00 AM

As a current member of www.yourracingcar.com i am more than pleased that they have joined forces with Shaun and the AMD Miltek Team. They may have taken a risk with the Golf but lets face it they have certainly come a long way with it! At least they managed the whole season which is more than what Giovanardi did! Don't diss what these people are doing! They are making it easier for hundreds of fans to get involved in something that they are very passionate about and that can only be a good thing? I will certainly be signing up again next year with YRC and personally i would like to wish Shaun, AMD Miltek, Hannah & the YRC Crew all the very best for the 2011 season. Can't wait to see you all at Brands on Sunday!

GuzziHero

October 07, 2010 6:30 AM

Chris, please tell me where I disrespected the team.

I just posted that I feel they have taken on too much of a challenge, from what I can see.

It is a fascinating and bold venture I hope it all works out for the team.

john slater

October 07, 2010 1:34 PM

Guzzi, your comments are "interesting".... to say the least.

And I would bet that your comments only fuel the desire for small teams to get out there, race hard and get results.

If it wasnt for teams like this... we'd be watching the WTCC!!!! only with rain and different accents!

Neil Sheffield

October 07, 2010 3:41 PM

chrischats. I'll be there on Saturday and Sunday, cheering everyone on.YRC was agreat idea, and I've been a member almost since day 1. Gives us Petrol Heads an idea into how a small team is run. Guzzi. If it was not for small teams like this, then there would be no BTCC. Most of the 2 car teams started off as only a 1 car race team. Maybe when you understand how much it costs to race for 1 season, then you might better understand. Bring on Sunday...

1 2  »