Mike and Andrew Jordan both secured a top ten finish in the penultimate rounds of the HiQ MSA British Touring Car Championship season at Silverstone.

The John Guest Racing pairing went into the weekend looking to continue the kind of form that had seen Jordan Jr take podium finishes at both Oulton Park and Knockhill, with the Silverstone layout expected to suit the BTC-spec Honda Integra.

The younger Jordan qualified in a solid tenth place on the grid and battled his way to ninth place in the opening race before a wheel bearing failure forced him to retire from the second race in the early stages. At the back of the field for the final race as a result, he gambled on dry tyres on the wet track and it proved to be the wrong call when he was forced to pit to change to wets and dropped off the lead lap to the back of the field.

Father Mike has qualified in 13th place but his bad luck hit in the opening race when he was forced to retire after breaking a wishbone mounting following contact with Gordon Shedden.

While he then battled through the field to tenth in race two, he was then forced into retirement in the final race when a trip into the gravel was followed by the radiator light coming on on the car.

"I was going forwards in race one and Gordon Shedden was holding me up a bit," he reflected. "I went down the inside of him at Becketts and we rubbed wheels, which broke a wishbone mounting, which is rare on an Integra.

"I had a fantastic race two and got to tenth. I really enjoyed it. The car wasn't as good as it had been in race one, bit it was still good progress. We made a couple of changes to the car for race three. Once we got the pole, we knew we'd got to be a bit radical and try and stay up there.

"If I'd been starting where Andy was on the grid, I'd probably have had a gamble on tyres and put slicks on the front. On the out lap there was only standing water on the back straight. As soon as I went out of the pits I was convinced it would be slicks by the end of the race. But it never got any drier.

"I made a great start and I was running okay for the first few laps. The car was very good early on, but I think we'd got an issue on set-up because after five laps the left front tyre had gone away and I was just canon fodder after that. I had a little skip through the gravel and then I had the water temperature alarm come on, so I think a radiator had gone. That was the end of that."


Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment