Dean Stoneman is to make a return to racing this season after confirming plans to compete in the BTCC-supporting Porsche Carrera Cup.
Stoneman dominated the Formula 2 championship back in 2010 and secured a test with the Williams F1 team as a result, before going on to ink a deal to compete in Formula Renault 3.5 the following year.
However, shortly after inking that deal, the Briton was diagnosed with testicular cancer, bringing his racing career to halt as he battled against the illness.
Having competed in, and won, the P1 Superstock UK powerboat series last year, Stoneman will now return to the race track in 2013 having decided to move away from single-seaters in GT machinery.
The 22-year-old will compete with leading team Redline Racing in the 20 race championship and said his aim was to fight for the title over the course of the year.
“[In 2011] I signed a contract for Renault 3.5 on the Tuesday and I was in hospital on Thursday,” he said. “I was in hospital for about six months, on chemotherapy for 18 hours a day. I had four operations and now I'm on the mend. I'll still got some issues, including trying to control testosterone levels. So we decided to take a side step rather than going forward with single-seaters and try and make a career in what I liked doing.
“Our aim this year is to hopefully win the Carrera Cup and then work towards the Porsche Supercup for 2014 and 2015. The route I want to do now is into sports and GT cars. It's a lot more money to do single-seaters and a one-in-a-million chance of getting to Formula 1.”