Matt Neal took victory in the second race of the day at Brands Hatch in the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship, in an epic race with incidents at every turn.

Neal was confortable at the front once more, but this time there was plenty of movement going on behind him. At the start Yvan Muller once more took second place, this time from team-mate Colin Turkington, whilst behind Turkington Jason Plato was looking fiesty.

Rob Collard, rather slow in race one, was a man on a mission in race two and clearly had a car with much more pace than earlier in the day. As Plato lined-up Turkington ahead the MG man was there in the wait and on the second lap the SEAT driver was through and past Colin along Cooper Straight, whilst Collard made his move into Surtees.

Two into one didn't go and Collard was unable to avoid touching the back of Turkington's car and the Astra was pitched off the track.

Behind the Collard / Turkington incident SEAT team-mates Luke Hines and James Pickford were taking avoiding actions, leaving them both off the track and in the gravel. Pickford was to return to the circuit - as Turkington did too - but for Hines it was over and out.

The safety car was brought out to clear Hines' car from its position and the line behind Neal saw Muller, Muller, Plato, Collard, Smith, Kaye, Eaves, Curley. Somewhere in the action Tom Chilton's car had been rendered a pit pony and the youngest ever BTCC race winner was parked-up for the Arena squad to work their magic.

The start of lap eight saw the safety car return to the pits and action resume. Experienced campaigner Neal was off well whilst Muller in second place had seemingly the entire rest of the field with the following car glued to their bumper.

James Kaye was the first to make a move as he passed the VX Racing Astra of Gavin Smith ahead, whilst further ahead Rob Collard used a contact assist to pass Plato at Clearways and was then charging after Yvan Muller.

As Collard closed in on the 2003 champion, Thruxton triple winner Dan Eaves was steadily working his way through the field, taking Smith then James Kaye before facing the very wide Toledo of Jason Plato.

Collard's time with Muller came soon enough, and just as Eaves found a wide Toledo, Collard found a wide Astra. Eventually, after a few laps of sizing-up, Collard opted for a Paddock Hill Bend move and was past Muller, but the Frenchman was not going to concede the place without a fight-back.

As Muller looked for a way to take his place back, so Plato behind had his own ideas. As Muller neared contact with Collard ahead so Plato worked his way alongside the Astra and was past - followed by Dan Eaves, and then James Kaye.

Plato worked his way to Collard so Collard's rear end lost adhesion at Clearways and the WSR driver's work was all undone.

The chequered flag saw Neal lead Plato and Eaves across the line with Muller, Turkington and Collard following. James Kaye ended up in the gravel on the final lap, whilst Ian Curley took the last finishing place and will start from pole for race two.

Top ten
1. Matt Neal
2. Jason Plato
3. Dan Eaves
4. Yvan Muller
5. Colin Turkington
6. Rob Collard
7. Gavin Smith
8. James Pickford
9. Ian Curley
10. James Kaye