F1 » VIDEO: Mercedes gives 2014 engine insight

The Mercedes team offers a unique soundtrack featuring next year's all-new F1 engine on a lap of Monza.

1Jez

August 02, 2013 12:12 PM

It still sounds very computer generated. I'm sure that, while this is supposedly the most accurate representation so far, the actual cars will sound better than this in reality.

Ptolemy

August 02, 2013 2:24 PM

I can sum it up for you:
-The V10's were "orgasmic" or "musical"
-The V8's were "Bullshit" as a South American fan's home made banner made from a hotel bed sheet and a can of black spray paint proclaimed in 2005 at Indy.
-The V6's sound like the jar of flies I caught in one of those hanging flytraps.
F1 is following the Western World's economy, down the tubes.

Ptolemy

August 02, 2013 2:31 PM

...after all that is what the new formula's after 2005 were about. How to make an F1 race car more like an environmentally friendly economy car. Its not about your jaw hanging open and reveling in the sights and sounds of the most amazing racing cars mankind can dream up within reason. Its all about saving fuel and lowering the "carbon footprint" all the while the Chinese are pouring out pollution that makes the entire rest of the world's pollution look insignificant. What's the point in making these great cars "environmentally significant?"

slightlysideways

August 02, 2013 5:50 PM

Could not agree more, all this green bs is mostly about making people feel better rather than actually making a difference.
Changing the engines to completely new ones is probably going to mean that one lucky manufacturer gets it far better than the others. I will miss the screams of an F1 car, but then again my lawnmower will excite me when i will use itas it will sound similar.

Ptolemy

August 02, 2013 7:06 PM

I never had the opportunity to hear the V-12's in person. In fact I never had an opportunity to hear ANY F1 car until they came to the USA in 2000 (or was it '99?) On my first visit to Indy I remember walking from the parking field into the speedway and hearing the most unbelievable sounds echoing trough the portals to the grandstands. The cars were doing their installation laps before the race start. Later, after the race had started I just couldn't believe the incredible sounds coming from the cars. Sounds that you don't hear on TV. Popping. Banging. Crackling. Stuttering traction control and enormous whooshes of air associated with it somehow (I think.) A strange smell lingering in the air that I can't describe, but can smell even today as I write this. A VERY weird chemical smell like you've never smelled anything like before. Chinese hot mustard is very remotely similar to it. Never did figure out what it was, but it lingered in my nose 6 hours after the races. Anyone

Ptolemy

August 02, 2013 7:12 PM

...know what that smell is?
Renault's 72 degree V10 from '04 and '05 was a VERY distinctive sound. The others all sounded the same, albeit incredible. But those Renaults with their even-fire cranks let out this banshee wail that you could hear over the other cars. One of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard.
These new v6s are, apparently, going to be unemotional and possible down right numbing. Is there any answer to losing the best part of the sport? By that I mean the noises the cars make.

pcxmac

August 03, 2013 1:47 AM

I love listening to all the people talk about how much more powerful this motor will be, just wait till you see their race pace with 60 kilos less of fuel. Lolz.

remember there are about 45 MJ in a KG of gas, and the ERS system reportedly only recovers 2 MJ per lap.
1 lap at sepang can take as much as 2.5 kg of fuel :) think about it. The motor inefficiency for the KERS system to work out right would have to be obscene.

If F1 were really interested in pushing the boundaries of technology they wouldn't be running stupid batteries, they would be integrating some sort of fuel cell system and allowing teams to decide whether or not they want to add a massive KERS battery system on their car in the first place. Efficiency just isnt about delivering power, its also about limiting weight.

btw, putting an electrical motor on the turbo will not really do very much for anyone :) it might add unnecessary back pressure though.

...