F1 » Ricciardo deal done, to be announced at Spa?

Daniel Ricciardo is expected to be confirmed as Sebastian Vettel's new team-mate at Red Bull Racing during this weekend's return to action at the Belgian Grand Prix.

bobsmyname

August 19, 2013 9:47 AM

I've seen no end of comments from people saying how relieved Vettel must be to have Daniel as a team mate instead of Kimi.

Makes me laugh that the guy who lapped 1.3 seconds quicker than Vettel's pole lap at the young driver test a couple of years ago is not considered a threat!

I'll wager that Dan will give Vettel a BIG fright! That is, of course, assuming he's allowed to. Let's just see how much he toes the company line - hopefully not too much, because I think he's bloody fast!

Taz

August 19, 2013 9:53 AM

@bobsmyname

I'd suggest Kimi or Fernando (if that even happened) would have demanded equal no1 status which probably couldn't be guaranteed.

Daniel will be as No2 a driver as Massa is at Ferrari, don't kid yourself that it's anything otherwise. He just has to wait his time and deliver strong points finishes and when Vettel goes to Ferrari he might have no1 status, win win for him.

rou

August 19, 2013 9:57 AM

He's shown that he's got the speed and thoroughly deserves a fast car so I cant wait to see some young talent in that 2nd Bull, I hope that Newey works his magic on next years car to keep it towards the front with all the regulation changes and we get to see what he's really got.

Lets just hope Sebastian doesn't throw his toys out of the pram if he does give him a challenge.

benignlyindifferent

August 19, 2013 10:56 AM

Ha, despite all our musings, by the time this sorts out all the main players will likely be with the same teams as now and Seb will have a new young teammate. However, this could prove to be troublesome too. Splitting poles with Alonso or Kimi would be expected but not with Riciardo.

Taipan

August 19, 2013 10:58 AM

Was there ever any doubt?
If it does happen I'd quite like to see Kimi's rumoured move to Ferrari come to pass. Dan would be very much number 2 to Vettel, Team orders are already in play at Mercedes to look after Lulu so we need a genuine inter team battle somewhere on the grid.
Alonso v Kimi would make interesting viewing but I'd be surprised if it happens.

JohnMarston

August 19, 2013 11:51 AM

I don't know, I just can't see Kimi going back to Ferrari. Has anyone in the Ferrari camp even mentioned this or is it all coming from the media? I'd like to see Ferrari go the same way as Redbull and sign a young fast driver who will be a #2. Bianchi? Hulk? Maybe even Di Resta.. Lets face it, Alonso would not want someone like Kimi in the team. That's why he openly supports Massa, he knows Massa is clearly playing a support role for him.

1 2 3 4  »