F1 » Vettel: Winning means more than records

Taking the chequered flag still provides a thrill for the kid who admits 'I sh*t myself' the first time he tried an F1 car...

Taz

October 14, 2013 12:12 PM

@crash

Did you have to put up that particular picture? the whole finger thing sends some people here into an uncontrollable frothing rage :)

Like their secret traction control system that got them both of the line so well yesterday.

MikeLite

October 14, 2013 12:53 PM

Does such a picture exist without the finger??

I personally find it and a hell of a lot of other people also apparently, so annoying and slightly arrogant.

It was interesting to see the results of the Sky F1 Poll about whether Vettel is the best driver this year or not.
I guess im not the only person who thinks he is slightly overated.

Taipan

October 14, 2013 1:01 PM

Taz, Just to push the Fingerphobes even closer to the edge I'm going to say I'm starting to really quite like Vettel.
There's no doubt that he's ruthless on the track which makes him no different to most multiple champions but out of the car he's a nice kid.
How many other drivers would admit to sh*ting themselves when they first tested an F1 car or think it was a real man's sport not for him? He's had to cope with huge success at a young age, he's also had the idiots booing to put up with and I think he's handled it really well.
Sorry Fingerphobes I know that wont go down well with you.

Taz

October 14, 2013 5:12 PM

@dliff

That level of paranoia is usually reserved for hardcore Hamilton fans! (Whitmarsh secretly swapping the front wing on Hamilton''s car been one of my favorites I've read here)

Googolplex

October 15, 2013 7:05 AM

I think I can understand where Taipan is coming from. Seb comes across really well and like a guy who has his feet firmly planted on the ground. Having said that, he will, no doubt, later do or say something (eg put up the finger or say "yes yes yes boys that's what I'm talking about") which will revert me to my normal state of irritation.

Thepain

October 15, 2013 7:10 AM

I give you the finger. Couple of years down the line you will have new drivers imitating the Finger.

And those who think it is boring why bother to watch and comment. Watch NASCAR it is a very intelligent sport for people who like going in circles in a very orderly manner.

bobsmyname

October 15, 2013 8:26 AM

I'm not into the whole conspiracy thing, not at all, but it is glaringly obvious that RedBull favour Vettel over Webber and always have. The front wing fiasco at Silverstone a few years ago was one of the most obvious.

Also, regardless of what anyone thinks, I reckon it's pretty obvious that they called Mark in for a 3 stopper in Japan purely to get Vettel in front - regardless of where it put Mark. C'mon guys, it's pretty obvious.

However, considering that Vettel is just about to win a 4th title for RedBull, it's really not surprising that they favour him - it's understandable. But I still don't like preferential treatment however it comes, but there you go.

As far as I'm concerned if he's the best driver than he should do it by himself. I have always thought that. Alonso used to **** me no end when he always asked the team to move his team mate out of the way. If you're so good, do it by yourself!

As far as pitting Webber in Japan, I guess it's fair enough, although still