F1 » BMW fails to find buyer

123 - Unregistered

August 06, 2009 12:31 PM

Who is going to miss BMW's cold corporate approach to Formula One? Very few I suspect. Where was the passion?

Good luck Peter Sauber - F1 needs people like you.

EnochRoot - Unregistered

August 06, 2009 2:00 PM

That's how I read them Andrew. TGK, are you really sure about that? Most of the opinions I read on sites like this suggest the exact opposite.

Furthermore, BMW's reaction to the little tea party at the time was anything but passive.

And considering Mosley's childish swipe at BMW's Nazi past (as you say, name calling is so unbecmoing, especially from those without a leg to stand on) during the whole saga, coupled with Bernie's recent press statements, is it any wonder that a German company with serious WWII-related branding issues is having second thoughts about committing long term to the sport?

I'm not saying that's the only reason, but I would guarantee that it didn't help one bit!

theyank

August 06, 2009 3:22 PM

andrewm - your initial comment WAS funny! Laughed so hard that my sides hurt.

ENOCHROOT - BMW's "Nazi past" is past. Greedo seems to be the only person who has an issue here. I have admired BMW automotive designs since I first saw an 1800. There is one a short distance from my abode that is in very nice condition and is driven. I would give andrewm's left nut to fly a BMW-engined FW-190.

I do hope someone comes forward to save the Sauber team.

I also believe that it is every F1 fan's civic duty to bash Spanker and Greedo at every opportunity. :)

Irl Neal

August 06, 2009 5:01 PM

Pretty sad news being that Sauber brought them in. I'm sure at that time he was hurting for $. BMW could have shown some love for guy. I guess when BMW isn't good enough to play, they take their ball home so that no one can play!

EnochRoot - Unregistered

August 06, 2009 5:46 PM

Yes, and no, Rob...

I'll bet the team would have been more than willing to stomach an F1 budget, IF it could have shown shareholders its great results to justify the expenditure.

Money's always a factor, but it's easier to justify successful spending.

In my view, it was the same deal with Honda. If you're in F1 for exposure, you can't be losing. Then you might as well just buy up TV ads instead, at least you can paint them in whatever light you please!

1 2 3 4 5  »