F1 » Lotus signs first driver for F1 2010

Malaysian-backed, Norfolk-based F1 2010 newcomer Lotus has signed its first driver for its debut in the top flight, team principal Tony Fernandes has announced via Twitter - with Toyota refugees Jarno Trulli and Kamui Kobayashi the two names most strongly in the frame

Cardinal

November 16, 2009 10:30 AM

I wonder if it's Trulli or Koba? Will Lotus just sign up Toyota's end of season drivers? I was hoping Davidson might get a chance, but I'd hate to see Koba drop out of F1 already, and I think that Trulli's a shoo-in. Fauzy as third driver makes sense. But why would Lotus say "we've signed our first driver" and not say who it is?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

November 16, 2009 10:35 AM

Well if anyone had sense at Lotus they would get Koba and a seasoned F1 driver. Not Trulli though as he has not covered himself in glory at toyota despite their resources.
Koba and Kova would be a good match if not Kova then perhaps Glock?

JJJ

November 16, 2009 11:16 AM

@A.S.

I don't think Jos Verstappen is really in the picture for the seat :p. Maybe Max Verstappen in the future.

Trulli is a good choice for Lotus. Koba too, but I think they'd rather go for a driver with more than 2 GPs behind his name from what I've read.

More importantly though. Mercedes is almost done buying Brawn for a redonculous amount of cash (reportedly an idiotic 560mn dollar). So Ross will now be seriously loaded.

richard

November 16, 2009 11:36 AM

a question that i have made, and is still not answered. how is it that with only two months notice, "lotus" can have started crash tests, and are signing drivers, yet usf1 with 5 years prep, have done neither. campos are also crash testing, but all seems to be quiet on the manor front

Cardinal

November 16, 2009 1:04 PM

Richard

I reckon Manor are waiting for Virgin to pull their finger out and finalise sponsoring/rebranding before they announce anything. Whether they actually have a car or not I don't know. But you don't need a circuit now to get a long-term contract from Bernie so anything goes I guess. USF1 are taking forever to get the team off the ground because Windsor is involved. he don't have a clue.

1 2  »