F1 » Michael Schumacher uncertain over GPDA return

Seven-time F1 World Champion Michael Schumacher is not certain to rejoin the pioneering Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA), it appears - with current GPDA chairman Pedro de la Rosa regarded as the principal stumbling-block...

andrew.

March 18, 2010 11:08 AM

Considering that MS was key to the GPDAs revival he is probably best place to return to it.

MS and Barrichello are the most experienced drivers on the gird and have raced through all the safety improvements since 94. It is only sensible that drivers with this sort of experience are in a key role in the GPDA.

over2u

March 18, 2010 11:24 AM

Agree with you andrew, however i think MS has quite a lot on his plate trying to find a way of matching his team mate on speed - the pace seems to there its just that one lap that's missing - so not surprised he's swerved the GPDA.

Dazzie Rascal - Unregistered

March 18, 2010 12:15 PM

I think MS should re-join as his input is valuable to the sport, but i agree with over2u, he has alot going on at the moment with his return so should not take control. But De La Rosa is not a leader, I think Barichello should be in control.

apeguero - Unregistered

March 18, 2010 1:22 PM

Is GPDA like a Union thing? Is it mandatory? If it's his choice to join or not then what's the big deal if he doesn't? As long as he supports their efforts then I don't see what the big deal is other than the apparent friction between MS and Pedro De La Rosa. Now, should he join and be made chairman right away? No. Should he join and be put in a special position due to his experience, etc? I don't see why not. But I'd rather he focus on getting back to speed then to worry about managing the GPDA. So if that were the case then I'd say stay out and get back to work MS.

rob01

March 18, 2010 1:34 PM

He doesn't have the time. His team mate is gunning for him. Nico says.

The track suits us better than the one in Bahrain," he told Germany's Bild. "We are aiming to get our first podium. I don't think that we will both be on the podium, but one of us could do it."

The 24-year-old upstaged his more illustrious compatriot and team-mate in both qualifying and the race itself in Bahrain, and the result gave him immense satisfaction.

"I am happy that I finished ahead of Michael," he said. "There is a 'super duel' between the two us and it will get even tougher as the season progresses.

"It is important to beat your team-mate as he drives the same car.

apeguero - Unregistered

March 18, 2010 2:18 PM

The arrogance of Nico is childish. There are more classy ways to express one's emotions. Disclosure, I'm an MS fan but I have recognized where MS has done stupid things, like when he parked in Monaco and when he followed team orders to pass Barrichelo, or even when he took number 3 away from Nico. Those were stupid things. All this trash talk by Nico though is just that, trash talk. I doubt MS will stoop down to that level once he starts outperforming Nico on the track.

Alan D - Unregistered

March 18, 2010 11:26 PM

Mark, back when Schumi was active in his GPDA role and safety was an issue, yes, I do think the GPDA had a lot to say and its voice was listened to by the powers that be and I remember times when the GPDA would meet race organisers before the race wanting barriers changing, tyre walls etc. These days I think everyone is more safety conscious and things like the Hans device were introduced despite some drivers opposing them. I disagree with the idea that MS needs to join GPDA to show "loyalty" with the other drivers. That would suggest F1 is an "us and them" situation which it isn't. It is good that PDLR can give a driver's viewpoint, but as an expert witness rather than a union rep.

1 2  »