F1 » Coulthard: No need for F1 re-invention

David Coulthard urges F1 to 'hang on a minute' before rushing into changes to improve the show

Monty - Unregistered

April 08, 2010 10:15 AM

Well it did help that the fast cars were at the back!

Eitherway... Bahrain has always been a dull circuit for action (apart from 2007 when there was sandstorms for the weekend!)

I still feel the racing won't be that exciting in the dry once we have a normal quali... however am still confident it won't be as bad as Bahrain!!

Piercarlogassolini - Unregistered

April 08, 2010 10:27 AM

Race 1 - 0/10 Borefest
Race 2 - 6/10 exciting. Reason - rain
Race 3 - 4/10 exciting. Reason - rain (in quali)

We still have problems.

On a related subject, has anyone on here driven an otherwise identical car with and without carbon brakes? I did so on tuesday at a Manufacturer day, and although I am no sort of racing driver, I can well appreciate why carbon brakes have contributed to limited overtaking opportunities. At the speed I was going, applying 'steel' pressure to carbon brakes was basically like hitting a brick wall.

Jonno - Unregistered

April 08, 2010 11:05 AM

I agree with Coulthard on only one point. Whatever they do they shouldn't rush it. So many changes in the past haven't been properly thought through let's hope this one is. A change must happen though anyone saying otherwise is an ostrich! The balance between aerodynamics and mechanical grip has been headed in the wrong direction for a long time and this year it's become worse than ever. If DC or the powers that be think that we are happy to watch 5 or 10 dull GPs a year they are wrong. It can't be great every time but the essential ingredients need to be right. I'm not an aerodynamicist but I bet that some down force devices don't dirty the air for the following driver as much as others . .

richard

April 08, 2010 11:26 AM

crash seems mto be trying to catch up on old news. these comments are about 5 days old. but dc is wrong here. we are unlikely to get many more wet races, so we will be back to boring processions.

by the way, pc, i thought that you werent going to watch the last two races, you were supposed to be on holiday. what made you change your mind??

Calvin _

April 08, 2010 11:42 AM

Jonno, have to agree with you. After so many knee jerk changes coming one after another without the proper time to see if they work or not, I think what F1 really needs now is some rule change stability during which the stakeholders should all sit down and decide what they want F1 to be and draw up a new set of rules and regulations accordingly.

Artov

April 08, 2010 12:47 PM

If the tyre manufacturers only want to make tyres that last as long as possible (as you would expect) I will repeat one of my suggestions. Resurface one of the bends at each circuit with a material that is very co**** and will wear the tyres. If it was to give super grip levels across the width of the track then it would provide overtaking opportunity at the expense of tyre wear.

Drivers choose how to deal with the situation, and we get to watch.

Piercarlogassolini - Unregistered

April 08, 2010 1:35 PM

@Richard, you have a great memory (admirable) or a hard drive full of everyone's posts (tragic). I COULDN'T watch Aus live as I was in midair to Majorca, but watched the afternoon rerun on the advice of my non-F1 loving father-in-law who told me he had heard on the news it had been an eventful race. This weekend I watched qualifying (Ferrari, Mclaren, what prats) and, based on the qualifying schemozzle and likelihood of rain, I watched the race, which was OK but not particularly gripping.

1 2  »