F1 » Comeback proves even Schumacher can't do magic

Michael Schumacher's former Benetton team-mate Jos Verstappen opines that the German legend's rather 'ordinary' return to competition in F1 2010 proves that even he cannot perform magic...

M Bee - Unregistered

April 24, 2010 4:07 PM

Nobody can jump right into an F1 car after 3 years off and be successful right away. Especially if the car design have undergone massive changes in the 3 years.

50 Cent - Unregistered

April 24, 2010 4:10 PM

I have to admit that I was one of the many people that thought he would be competitive from the get go. Now, I think it will take him some time to adjust as he was narrowing the gap in every GP but China. That said if he stick around it will be next year before we can see him fully competitive.

mclain1 - Unregistered

April 24, 2010 4:11 PM

People needs to shut the hell up and give this man a break. Once he gets his car setup like he wants, then he will win again.. Its only been 4 races for crying out loud..!

Vinnie Barbarino - Unregistered

April 24, 2010 4:48 PM

Wow shocked at how committed humans can be to their hero's. I don't know whether Schumi will or will not be competitive this year or the next but we do know that he was in the past whether it was from fair tactics or unfair tactics or number one states. We do know he had number one states in the teams Schumi was a part of so perhaps that is one disadvantage. The second disadvantage would be that Schumi had no time in the car in the previous year. The third would be that he has been out of the seat for three years. The advantage Schumi is a great driver, that being said there are other great drivers too. It take more than just a great driver to become a champion just look at 08 vrs 09 vrs 1

Vinnie Barbarino - Unregistered

April 24, 2010 5:05 PM

Part 2. It takes more than just a great driver to become a champion just look at 07 vrs 08 vrs 09 vrs 10 with Lewis Hamilton. I believe that Schumi issues does not have anything do do with age but more so with the number one status in the team. Remember that the car was designed on two potential drivers and not just one. This could be the issue destroys Shumi's return more so now than ever because his team mate is second in championship and they would not want to veer from that knowing that Shumi is only there for three years. The question is whether Shumi will be able to out shine Rosberg with the new chasis. If not then Schumi was not all that..

ernie becclestone - Unregistered

April 24, 2010 5:19 PM

crash deleted my post! dont know if it was the comment about there copy and paste articles or mentioning bonfires and verstappen in the same post!
dont they know who i am? where's max he'll help me! damn mind's going with age, get me that todt bloke on the hotline!

RawDawg

April 24, 2010 5:48 PM

I've always admired Michael's ability and race craft and thought he would be good addition to the paddock, but I never understood how people thought he could just jump back in the car and pick up where he left off. I never expected that.

Michael IS NOT the same driver. How can he be? He's much older and took some time off. He may could have been on top if he had taken a year off but 3 years is a looong time - especially at his age. He will be good but no where near the old Shumi - but who is?

JOHN - Unregistered

April 24, 2010 6:05 PM

Time will tell but right now its not looking good for him (Schumacher). Age is obviously comming against him plus his time out of the cockpit. The last time he was racing he was not exactly setting the tracks alight either was he??? I reckon Eddie Jordan was also correct, if Im not mistaken EJ said Schumi did not have a hope before the season even started :D :)

kubicafan

April 24, 2010 6:25 PM

I wasn't going to comment, but I just couldn't resist. @mbee,mclain1 & rawdawg - you guys are spot on & I agree with you. MSC's detractors are just lapping all of this up and it is always easy to criticize. Apart from time away from F1 racing, the rule changes over the past years and the establishment of a new team (which MercBenz essentially is), every driver has his own particular style of driving and the driver and the car need to gel together to achieve max performance. I am glad MSC is back and, as a past MSC supporter, his current form does not bother me at all. His presence in a classy F1 driver line-up only serves to raise the entire sport & spectacle to a higher level. :)

1 2 3 4 5 6  »