F1 » 'Different' Button's reputation has soared in F1 2010

Defending world champion he may be, but Jenson Button has nonetheless arguably been the surprise of F1 2010 thus far - with the McLaren-Mercedes star's impressive start to the campaign doing more for his reputation than his title-winning charge last year, argue observers

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Cardinal

April 26, 2010 12:52 PM

I can't believe all these idiots who say 'he only won cos of two lucky calls'. Yeah, it's called strategy and is what makes people win WDCs. Like Button did last year. Oh and look, he's won half the races this season and is leading the WDC again!
Alternatively, if Button is rubbish, then everyone else must be really cr@p as they are trailing him in the standings.

stevyweavy - Unregistered

April 26, 2010 1:06 PM

Don't understand why so many "British" people have the daggers out for a British world champion. Hamilton is already admitting he has underestimated Button and is keen to pick up some tips from Button. He has won 2 out of 4 races, he has out qualified Hamilton 3 - 1. Who cares if he is the best driver in the world just be pleased we have a British driver driving for a British team at the top of F1. What ever he is doing right now he is doing better than anyone else and this year he does not have the best car in the field as he did the start of last year. He might not win the world championship again this year, Hamilton may be a better driver than him, but right now he is top dog. Well done!

arcuid

April 26, 2010 1:18 PM

I asked a friend who is British and a F1 fan the same question stevyweavy asked above. He also has no clue! If I were British, I would be proud of both Jenson and Lewis. So come peeps why the nastiness?

andrew.

April 26, 2010 1:26 PM

arcuid - my personnal preference is Button as I have never been a Hamilton fan. His attitude at times really just puts me off.

As for them being British, it doesn't matter. Button is the only British F1 driver I have supported and I am not a fan of McLaren (or should that be Ron Dennis?).

Piercarlogassolini - Unregistered

April 26, 2010 1:28 PM

I'm a Brit and I can't understand it either, it is one of our least appealling character traits. I favour no driver or team, but when a Brit wins I couldn't be prouder, to the point of tears welling up when the anthem is played (which I stand for, sorry to be so sad). One point I'll make is that Button has now won for three teams, I think the last to do that was possibly Prost, and they share at lot of attributes (including being irrationally hated!)

Rozza - Unregistered

April 26, 2010 1:31 PM

When Schumi won in the rain, he was hailed as a genius, and proclaimed the "Rainmaster". He generally relied on good calls from Ross Brawn, but everyone celebrated the great relationship.

When Button wins in the rain he's considered lucky, even when he makes the calls by himself. Hardly seems fair does it?

1 2 3 4 5  »