F1 » From sleeping in 'an old brothel' to king of Monaco

Mark Webber has come a long way from sleeping in 'an old brothel' nine years ago to standing atop the Monaco Grand Prix podium last weekend - but don't call me F1 2010 title favourite, the Red Bull Racing star urges

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Brad - Unregistered

May 18, 2010 11:44 AM

It sounds like he has his feet firmly on the ground still at least.

Funny how things can turn around so fast. If someone had tried to tell me that after 6 races it would be Button and Webber with 2 wins each a few months back, I'd have called them loony!

Cardinal

May 18, 2010 12:26 PM

Nobody expected Button to be WDC last year, yet he was. Webber can definitely take the title this year, he's found his mojo. He's in the best car and has the measure of Vettel. It won't be easy, there are 2 Maccas, Alonso, Rosberg and Kubica all in with a chance of the WDC, as well as Vettel. Webber is the man in form though.

sixtenths - Unregistered

May 18, 2010 12:50 PM

My what a lot of Aussie F1 fans seem to have suddenly appeared out of the woodwork....

Like the Spanish, it seems to be mainly when you think you have something to crow about, the quality of the posts is mostly sub tabloid Nationalist drivel.

Cardinal

May 18, 2010 1:30 PM

@ sixtenths

I'm English, and never used to like Webber at all. This season and last though he has really stepped up to the plate and delivered. Before 2009 it was all hype and unfulfilled potential. He's won me over, even if he has got a gob on him! Oh, and the only drivel on this thread is your stupid post.

JB - Unregistered

May 18, 2010 1:38 PM

I normally don't write any responses the the 'drivel' posts on here but wow, completely disagree with the almost racist post by sixtenth (never sure why it's o.k to lay into Australians).

Were the Aussie F1 fans in the woodwork when 300,000 went to the Aus GP over the 3 days at the beginning year (or 500,000 as far back in 95 in Adelaide)? I think Webber fans are some of the most vocal.

It's great to see Mark Webber doing so well. He's put in his dues after working his way up with many years in poor cars. He deserves these rewards.

Commodore S - Unregistered

May 18, 2010 2:33 PM

@ sixtenths.

Where do you get off.

Their are many posters on the forum whom are Aussies.

As JB says we are vocal and patriotic together with being keen motor sport supporters overall.

We may be out of the way and out of sight downunder but we do exist.

Geez sorry to disturb.

kneedragon1962

May 18, 2010 2:40 PM

I'm glad to see he's doing well. I want to see him continue to do well. I have no doubt that in the right car he can add world champion - driver's championship - to his cv. I have not always beena faithfull fan, in fact I have been something of a critic over the years. I hope that I'm wrong and he's right, and that his sucesss excedes all my expectations. It's been a long time. One in 1969, one in 1980, it's about time we did it again.

1 2  »