F1 » Hamilton: Australia 'loving' my driving charge

Lewis Hamilton: It is all in the past for me. A fine is a fine but they are loving it at the moment. I guess they need the publicity. The country is so far away I guess they don't get much attention from us.

Commodore S - Unregistered

May 30, 2010 3:35 PM

Full of convicts/Full of immigrants. Whats all this about.

We Aussies did not make the comment on Crash.

In fact it has very little media exposure down here since the original incident.

Where sick of it. Its a personal matter between Hamilton and the respective authorities.

Anant Deboor

May 30, 2010 3:48 PM

I cannot stand Hamilton, but on this particular one - I think the Aussie police have covered themselves in something other than glory. With that assh*** transport minister calling him names and them now continuing to pursue this crap - I must admit Lewis is perfectly fine saying 'to hell with it'.

dagriz - Unregistered

May 30, 2010 3:54 PM

This is nothing worse than a speeding fine. It's a media blowout. Worst possible outcome is that he won't be able to drive a car in Aus for 12 months, and maybe receive a very small fine. There is no need for him to front up to court.

This was only news for 24 hours in Oz, so it's my guess that it's the English and European media who are the ones milking the story.

I have heard that it was a pretty impressive burnout though. I guarantee there were about 200 drunk yobbos cheering him on. Great stuff.

PS Yep I'm an Aussie

kneedragon1962

May 30, 2010 4:25 PM

I think it's fair to say the Aus police milked it, to get the message out (in Australia) that nobody is above the law and that 'hooning' on public roads will not be permitted by anyone, at any time. (Not my point of view, but certainly theirs.) The press milked it because there's a giggle factor, and it sells papers. I doubt very much that either the local press or cops gave any thought to the Brit or international media at all. Didn't enter the equation. This is all politics and manipulation and mind-share for the local political and moral high ground. We have the most terrible moral high ground grab here every holiday and long weekend about the road toll, and this just grist for the mill.

Commodore S - Unregistered

May 30, 2010 4:31 PM

All I can say their is certainly a couple of Aussie haters in our midst without a proper assumption or understanding.
Prior to the event this topic was civil. Afterwards the disagree button went berserk.
Silly

papa shango - Unregistered

May 30, 2010 4:37 PM

He's right. Australia is very far away and no one over here really gives a damn about their media operation.

I can understand their heartache though. First they lose Casey Stoner as a sporting great due to Valentino Rossi showing him how to ride a motorcycle....

THEN Queen Elizabeths finest put Webber to shame

kneedragon1962

May 30, 2010 4:38 PM

@ Anant Deboor
"I cannot stand Hamilton, but on this particular one - I think the Aussie police have covered themselves in something other than glory."

(big grin) When have Australian police ever been covered in anything but lots of not-glory?

Steve - Unregistered

May 30, 2010 4:42 PM

Typical Aussies making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just trying to make an example out of him probably because he is far better than Webber has been and indeed ever will be.

davidjwater - Unregistered

May 30, 2010 4:44 PM

Im a brit living here in australia, i love the people and surroundings, and admire the sporting achievments from such a tiny population pool. yet i must admit that the culture is somewhat backward compared to europe (dare i say bogan? :p), slightly behind the times in relation to their actual importance on a global scale compared to most other countries. Australia is a tiny country in relation to its population and international status, the only problem is that the politicions, and media (who could milk a dead cow lets be honest) are unaware of it.
i agree with hamilton, even if he is tactless, who bloody well cares about a fine? certainly not the rest of the world.

Norville2 - Unregistered

May 30, 2010 5:25 PM

Think about it Aussies....how do you think the rest of the world look at you guys? a non white person comes to a non white land does a wheelspin and gets hung by your press and your politicians....

« 1 2 3 4 5 6  »