F1 » 'Risky' for Webber to 'air his dirty laundry in public'

Thirteen-time grand prix-winner turned BBC F1 pundit David Coulthard has warned his former Red Bull Racing team-mate Mark Webber that his boldly outspoken approach could either make or break his F1 2010 title chalenge...

Taz - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 10:23 AM

I like DC but I have to take his comments about red bull with a pinch of salt as he's very much a company man in that respect.

I was at Monza wearing my DC cap after the spa 'incident'. I was almost lynched :p

FreddyFreeloader - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 10:30 AM

Shame on you DC. (Still on the payroll??) MW is fully justified plus he's an Aussie and they don't keeep it inside they call it how they see it which is great. Truth is RBR made a clear choice before quali and sent a direct message to MW. MW wins the race and he's entitled to speak his mind. If RBR step back a bit, cool down and back MW, I think he could win WDC.

stone - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 10:32 AM

Yeh agree Taz, I always thought DC was good value with a good sense of humor, but he's caught here wearing two hats as he's still employed by Red Bull. He knows Webber would of had to been pushed pretty hard to make the statements he did which shows when he said this part:

“In many respects, that bloody-minded attitude is what I wish I had shown on the two occasions during my career, at Jerez in 1997 and Melbourne a year later, when I was asked to make way for my McLaren team-mate, Mika Hakkinen. I will never know whether my compliance cost me the chance of a championship.

It really is now or never for Webber and it has also given him more drive....could of worked for you DC.

stone - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 10:37 AM

Would also like to add that Webber has won the PR war hands down.

Was anyone at Silverstone last weekend? and if so, how did the fans react to Vettel and Webber?

Makaveli Lives - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 10:46 AM

DC towing the company line.. AGAIN! :(

Webber has nothing to lose. If he stays quiet the team favor Vettel and Webber has no chance of winning the title.

if he speaks out in public he puts pressure on the team to at least appear to be acting in an impartial manner in which case he has more of a chance of being successful.

Can you imagine what the public reaction will be if for example Webber has some kind of unexplained failure of his car and Vettel goes on to win a GP? How many people would cry foul? The onus is on RBR to make sure both drivers get good equipment from now on or their reputation is going to be permanently tarnished.

Taz - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 10:50 AM

I have to feel a bit sorry for Vettel, this is a situation more of his team's making than his, he's was probably told by senior Red Bull / Markko Helmet 'we want you to win it and will favour you' and then ramped things up by backing him after Turkey and the stupid wing situation at Silverstone.

His reaction after the Turkey prang was a bit silly but thats the heat of the moment, he's still a young guy and hasn't really had this pressure and expectation heaped on his shoulders until now.

stone - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 10:56 AM

One things for sure, that even after the public backlash and all the exposed lying, Marko and Horner went straight back to work helping Vettel, so unfortunately I do not expect them to change their ways now, especially with the German GP as the next race.

Still it's better that Webber goes down fighting and makes it hard on the cheating basta*ds.

Neil - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 10:59 AM

I was at Silverstone, fo the entire weekend. Mark was cheered by 90% of the British fans, as he has adopted England as his home, so we have adopted him. The only cheer Vettel got, was when he crawled into the pits, with a puncture.... DC understands more about team order's, than anyone, but, I back Mark's comments 100%. RBR want to see Vettel as WC, not MW. It's a real shame, as I thought RBR was a breath of fresh air, when they started in F1, now they seem to be involved in to much politics now!.

Meridenmetal - Unregistered

July 14, 2010 11:05 AM

@ Makaveli Lives
Couldn't agree more but do you really think RBR care what the public thinks? After the 'racing accident' there was uproar at Mark's treatment but at Siverstone CH still walked all over him.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »