F1 » Williams targets top eight

Williams aims to get both cars inside the top eight at Suzuka

JJ9871011

October 05, 2010 5:01 PM

I would really like to see Williams finish ahead of FI at the end of this season. They have had some down beat seasons since BMW left them. I hope after this season Hulk will be more consistent and have regular points finishes. Above all, I hope Williams gets back to winnings ways. They need to dump that Cosworth donkey already and get a proper one.

rob01

October 05, 2010 5:13 PM

There NOT dumping Cosworth. They are happy with the engine. And next year it will be coupled with a KERS from Williams. Kevin K from Cosworth was a guest in Sir Franks private booth and the relationship looks very good. Besides you have to pay money to break a three year contract.

spac18 - Unregistered

October 05, 2010 8:19 PM

Both cars at top eight at suzuka will be good, but its still far cry from 1997. Recently I watched a documentery about williams f1, where Frankie said that their drivers are very highly paid employees, nothing more. He also said that only 25% of race performance depends on the driver. One f1 expert said that if Michael Schumacher told williams to hire an engineer of his choice, williams would not have hired that engineer. They also released many ragining f1 champion because of high wage demands. I think these factors insured that no top driver will drive for williams anytime soon. Without top drivers williams will never win another title. Also they let Adrian Newey go to protect Patrick Head. Now rbr is cleaning house with newey. I think this "team comes above person" motto is the cause of the decline of william

Alan D - Unregistered

October 05, 2010 10:40 PM

Spac, I haven't seen the documentary you are talking about but I have heard other people saying that Williams is not very good at holding onto its drivers, although I'd not heard it put down to salary demands before, but instead to clashes of egos, as if Williams don't like the thoughts of the driver being the star of the team.

Rattlehead

October 06, 2010 4:36 AM

I'd heard that it was because of wages that Williams lost three,possibly four of their World Champions(Prost,Mansell,Hill,and maybe Villeneuve).
Although they did employ Senna,who I can't imagine being cheap!

JJ9871011

October 06, 2010 5:39 AM

@spac - I've seen documentary you speak of and yes, Williams breaks down the formula to 25% for driver, chassis, engine, and tires. They let drives go with both egos and wages were getting too high. As for getting Senna, I think Williams got him because they were the best team at the time. Also losing Newey was huge.

As for the Cosworth engine, we all know it's not a the best. Patrick Head has said that the Cosworth they ran in 2006 burned more fuel than the others. I want to believe this has been improved on. As for performance Brundle has said the engine just seems to fall off a cliff in terms of power at a certain point for some reason where as other don't seem to suffer as much lose in the latter stages of life.