F1 » More trouble ahead for Lotus in name row?

Reports suggest more trouble for Lotus Racing in its argument over the Team Lotus name

Billy .

October 12, 2010 1:39 PM

Greg. Err No! I'm not following a team masquerading as the real Lotus.

Classic Team Lotus and Group Lotus are Lotus. End of.

Good on you Clive your doing the right thing.

The turkey - Unregistered

October 12, 2010 2:23 PM

I don't like the idea of this team using the Team Lotus name. Don't see what's wrong with Lotus Racing as a name, but if Proton say they can't use that either what will they be called... Team Fernandes - Force Malaysia? Is 'Bugatti' still available?

Paul - Unregistered

October 12, 2010 3:38 PM

Isn't this all getting a little bit sad? Many many people would love to see the "real" Lotus back in F1, but sadly this is very unlikely to ever happen.. still TF and all at "Lotus Racing" have really impressed me so far, plenty of respect for all that went on in the past, and to be fair they are trying to tie in with the Lotus legend. I say they should be allowed to continue as Team Lotus, maybe wise for Mr. Fernandez to invest in the car group, joint venture or something? I don't know, but I would like to see a lotus name in F1 somewhere, as long as they respect the history and prestige of this great brand... Which seems to be satisfactory so far from what I see.. What does everyone else think ? ? ? ?

Taz

October 12, 2010 3:59 PM

@paul

This is much more about money and rights ownership than heritage and respect to an iconic name.

I agree with you, they have done a good job but if he's tried to hi-jack the rights on the fly that's an entirely different kettle of fish and lets face it, this court case isn't doing the lotus name or heritage any good if you ask me.

RobK - Unregistered

October 12, 2010 5:12 PM

Yep, I agree - this is all about money and the marketing of the F1 team.

Fernandez is in a much better position running Lotus-Renaults than running Tune-Renaults or Asia-Renaults (if indeed Renault is still on board).

Billy .

October 12, 2010 5:17 PM

I saw this comment on another forum.
"It's like you've been dating a new girlfriend for the past year,and then you've just found out she's a man!"

Don't get me wrong, the Lotus name back in F1 is fantastic, but when people start to realise that Lotus Racing is in licence only, and it's not TF's place to push the brand in a direction without the consent of Group Lotus, they may then understand.

From my point of view, it appears TF has used the brand as a stepping stone and is now shi*ing on their doorstep!

Dean Dean

October 12, 2010 6:09 PM

What, exactly, do proton want..one assumes they were paid for the initial licence but did Fernades try a back handed deal with Chapman to avoid paying any further licence fee ?? You get the team a long standing name, renewable yearly but then you hit on the idea that 'team lotus' is actually not owned by the lotus car licence owner so why not do a deal to use team lotus. I think they've brought the name back in an admirable way, they didn't have to go to the expense of arranging the classic lotus car ensemble for instance. I just can't see how proton haven't benefitted in any of this..they sell cars, lotus cars are their premier marque which happen to be affordable sports cars..if it's a case of paying for another years licence, what sort of money are we talking ?? I'd be curious to know what the sales figures are like for lotus since its name re entered F1, worldwide, but I guess we'll have to wait for next years figures to get a more realistic idea.

1 2  »