F1 » Mansell: F1 2010 crown still Webber's to lose – but he won't

Offering his assessment of the F1 2010 title chase with two races to go, former world champion Nigel Mansell reckons Korean error notwithstanding, Mark Webber remains on-course to clinch the drivers' crown - but fears Lewis Hamilton will conversely end up counting the cost of his 'misjudgements' this year

Jenson Button - Unregistered

October 27, 2010 1:34 PM

From an insiders viewpoint, I'd say it's evens on both Webber and Alonso. Webber can definitely win both the next races with the car advantage RBR have. However, he has two competitors - Alonso - who just will not give up, and as far as we can tell, his own team.

Alonso on the other hand has a reasonable possibility of either a DNF (if he runs with the old engine), or a low points score (if he takes the grid penalty and changes engine) in Brazil.

If Red Bull back Webber, it's his to lose. However, if not, then it's looking pretty even to me.

Still think I'm not out of it yet though!

blzbub

October 27, 2010 1:47 PM

hey jens, are you now resigned to a role of lewis permanent number two, because lets face it, your not gonna beat him next year either are you . . . you did do better than many including myself, thought you would though

Jenson Button - Unregistered

October 27, 2010 2:06 PM

@blzbub

Next year starts fresh - both of us are equal. We'll see who ends up number one at the end of it.

Thanks for saying I exceeded your expectations - high praise indeed coming from you.

Johnny86 - Unregistered

October 27, 2010 2:37 PM

Hey jensy...your gf is hot...btw did you confuse your car with a crane last race?? Didnt see you the whole race. Just wondered if were the one driving the crane over the track.

JJJ

October 27, 2010 2:47 PM

@Johnny86: n1, very funny

Pretty much all the contenders have made some driver errors this year that could make the difference at the end except Button, however Button is just not quick enough.

Webber had some scruffy races at the beginning of the season, the shunt in Valencia, the bad start at Spa and last race's f-up.
Hamilton and Vettel's mishaps are well documented and FA had the false start in Malysia, the first lap error in Australia, the illegal move on Kubica at silverstone and a shunt at Spa.

Except for the appalling race Button had in South Korea all of his 0 point finishes this year have, as far as I can remember, been caused by others or technical issues (Monaco).

Jiri Simek

October 27, 2010 2:56 PM

I absolutely agree with Nige!!! He knows what he sais. Alonso is the best driver out there, fair enough! But the RB6 is a supreme car and if SV finally accepts the truth and helps out to Mark, there will be nothihg to stop Weber form taking the crown. However, the Redbull crue looks like a bunch of idiots with Mr Horner in the head. If they wont face reality, then the title is definitely either Alonso's or Hamitlon's, but noway Vettel's!!!!!!!!!

Mark Webber - Unregistered

October 27, 2010 11:23 PM

We are still in a position to win the championship. In spite of the mistake in Korea, we're still well within striking distance and barring a catastrophe in either of the remaining races, I have confidence that we're strong enough to win. It's been a struggle at times, but the season isn't over.

Wow! Even more pros are coming out of the woodwork to make unregistered posts with their real names...not just anyone can do that!

Fernando Alonso - Unregistered

October 28, 2010 9:32 AM

As we have always said before, Red Bull is still the team to beat... they have the best car on the field but we won't give up until the last race in Abu Dhabi.

11 point lead is not a sure bet to win the WDC with 50 points still up for grabs, but if my engine continues to perform and challenge for the podium until the last race, then I have a good chance of winning the championship, of course, I need help from my teammate Felipe to absorb some points from our competitors also. If both of us finish on the podium... the more is my chance to take the WDC.

But for me, being in the podium is not enough... I need to win both to secure my 3rd crown. This makes the last 2 races interesting for you F1 Fans. The first to blink loses.

1 2  »