F1 » Vettel victorious as title rivals tyre out

Sebastian Vettel led from the front to win both the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and the 2010 F1 world championship as rivals Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber came up short.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Alan D - Unregistered

November 14, 2010 5:32 PM

Like everyone else, I thought Ferrari were making the right choice when they pitted Alonso to keep him ahead of Webber, and with hindsight it is easy to see that's wrong. But perhaps Ferrari's biggest mistake today was in not splitting strategy. Both Alonso and Massa took the same early pit stops and Massa just didn't play any part after that. If they'd kept Massa out until he was running on the wheel rims then he could have slowed the leaders down and given Alonso a chance.

Diesel

November 14, 2010 5:34 PM

@not biased

I will agree with you I give credit to Webber for fighting the Eurocentric attitude in F1 but it is an European sport. So it's understandable but I definitely like to see an outsider like an Aussie or God forbid an American come in and shake things up a bit. But Vettel is a worthy champion and I support him and his great championship.

Alan D - Unregistered

November 14, 2010 5:38 PM

Although it made absolutely no difference to the final outcome, I was disappointed to see the Alguesuari let Webber past and then hold up Massa. It was pretty blatant. Maybe Horner was right to say they haven't used Team Orders all season, but that looked like an inter-team order to me.

I was also disappointed that Webber seemed to make no real attempt on Alonso. There was one corner where Alonso ran wide, cut the corner, and still kept his position. It brings up this issue again that you can be penalised for gaining a place by corner cutting, but not for keeping your place by corner cutting.

Worried - Unregistered

November 14, 2010 5:43 PM

The naivety is astounding! We all wish everything in this world is pure! FFS look at the amazing decline in performance in this round for Weber, and the improve of renaults. This race is crap. I plead with everyone to have an open min

Alan D - Unregistered

November 14, 2010 5:44 PM

Doris, no, I didn't. I think Massa is professional enough to have tried to help Alonso to win the WDC, regardless of what has happened before.

I think the reason Massa played no role was because of the usual story with F1 this season, that passing on the track is near impossible, and Abu Dhabi is such a forgiving track that even when you get it wrong there is still little risk in hitting a wall or having to brake so hard that you lose momentum. If this had been the first race of the season rather than the title decider, would it really have been exciting?

thunder1 - Unregistered

November 14, 2010 5:52 PM

@Worried it seems that renault in rbr was completly forget and that 2 renault cars were in perfect positions to mess things up, but the fault is with ferrari in falling into such an obvious trap and vettel did drive perfect today and let's not forget that f1 is more about money and power then is about racing at least nowdays so nice to see someone who looks and the whole and not focusing on his/hers hate for any particular driver

Skeptical - Unregistered

November 14, 2010 5:56 PM

@TGL Ha! In your dreams bub! Now if you will excuse me I'm going to thank the REAL Lord up in heaven for hearing my prayers for a non Alonso win. You can keep the Robbie Williams CD. I'm a Coldplay fan.

richard

November 14, 2010 6:04 PM

race not great, but result was. this was the most interesting finale, even better than 2008. the vettel knockers have disappeared, thank goodness, and what i said about red bull during the week was correct. had webber swapped places in brazil, they would not now have the wdc. so congrats to ALL at red bull. webber didnt do too much to help. he had to be told to get his finger out, by the team. smart move from the team, to say that radio was playing up, leaving seb to get on with the race, not knowing where the others were. now the bulls have really shown that team orders are pointless!

« 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »