F1 » Petrov: I came here to fight – and showed I can

Vitaly Petrov: I had a long battle with Fernando, but the car had good top speed today so I was able to control the situation: I just did my job. If he had tried a move, then I didn't want to crash with him, but it didn't come to that.

tian647 - Unregistered

November 14, 2010 7:27 PM

Indeed, well done Vitaly! I'd say drive of the race to him for being put under enormous pressure from Alonso for over half the race and standing up to it with no mistakes.

Although Button pipping Alo into turn 1 and then riding Ham's gearbox across the line to remind Lewis McLaren doesn't have a #2 driver policy was a strong finish to the season.

phil - Unregistered

November 14, 2010 7:41 PM

with alonso in your mirrors most drivers make a mistake but hats off to petrov for his best performance so far, as for the reaction of alonso at the flag i think he needs reminding there are RACING DRIVERS out there that don't have to move over like all his team mates.

rx - Unregistered

November 14, 2010 7:53 PM

WELL DONE! As for "not leting Alonso by..." well, thats only for guys like Massa, who doesnt earn ANY respect from us brazilians.

Todd - Unregistered

November 14, 2010 7:54 PM

Rather fitting that Alonso spent most of the race staring at the back of a Reneault. I've grown weary of him going on all season about how great it is to be at ferrari, best team ever, etc. Kind of shows a lack of respect for Reneault who gave him a great car for his 2 world championships.

For him to expect Petrov to do anything less than he did when fighting to hold 6th position is arrogant. I guess he figures after Massa got out of his way all the other drivers should follow suit.

A fitting and just end to the 2010 world championship.

spuggles - Unregistered

November 14, 2010 7:59 PM

Well done Vitaly. You managed to 1) Keep a driver behind on a track which it's virtually impossible to overtake unless you have a reasonable car advantage. If it was Interlagos it would have been over far sooner.
2) Make sure you NEVER drive a Ferrari in any race series.
3) Prove to everyone that you only do well when your jobs on the line. I hope you find a decent drive in GP2 as you won't be in F1 again. :)

erikjt83

November 14, 2010 8:18 PM

I hope this will help Petrov get a seat next season. He's had his share of bad runs, but this race truly showed that he has the talent that it takes to drive against the more experienced drivers on the track. He deserves to be back next year.

1 2 3 4 5  »