F1 » FIA reveals F1 engine, team orders and tyre changes

F1's governing body the FIA has unveiled a raft of regulation changes for the coming seasons, from the abolition of the team orders ban to the introduction of 'greener', 1.6-litre turbocharged engines

hello - Unregistered

December 11, 2010 9:30 AM

Its all getting better. from a 20.000 rpm to 12.000 rpm sounds great. hahahahaha
it will rev less then my 1994 zzr600 hahahahaha, and this will be the future!?
Put on normal street tyres! why not?
give the cars a little weight extra to. i was thinking of a little 4000 lbs,
F1= nothing less then Failure 1!!! hahaha.
the first failure in history!

Robbo - Unregistered

December 11, 2010 11:05 AM

I don't mind F1 trying to green up its image a bit (it is both good for maintaining political support for the sport and from a general public acceptance point of view of the sport), but F1 will die if it does not meet its fans expectations and that means (imo) the cars must be going around faster than anything else and the cars need to be screaming like a pack of hyena's getting castrated.

For me the two defining characteristics of modern F1 -sheer speed and the sound. My hair still stands on end everytime I hear an F1 car screaming past at high speed.

spaghettieddie

December 11, 2010 11:41 AM

I remember the turbo years and they were exciting. I agree with "the turkey". Give it a chance before you cry foul. I would like to see this technology being used alongside the engines that are being used now. I would also like to see them phase them in over the course of the first two years to make it a bit more interesting. Turbo vs. normally aspirated would be fun to watch. Re-fueling should be the norm again as well.

PS And dont anyone start barking that the two cannot compete against each other, IT CAN BE DONE!

andrew.

December 11, 2010 12:49 PM

Lifting the ban on team orders was bound to happen. All teams broke this regulation but it was too easy to get round the ban as seen on several occasions this year with "oh it was the drivers choice" or "he missed a gear" or "save fuel" etc etc.

The biggest problem is that MrM let this continue for so long that a dangerous precedent has been set, thus why MrT could not bring any real punishment to Ferrari. All thanks to MrM.

cinder12 - Unregistered

December 11, 2010 1:09 PM

@ spaghetti eddie,

Yeah I would like to see a bit of a battle between the turbos and normally aspirated engines, and I agree it can be done (Ivan Capelli nearly winning for March in Estoril 1988 springs to mind straight away) Would be interesting to see what level of boost is chosen for the turbos!

Also I noticed that on crash (and also autosport) that one of the rule changes for 2011 is that intermediate tyres are back. Without meaning any sort of ignorance, I didn't know they had left!

107SS2009

December 11, 2010 1:24 PM

Just observing, you wrote, you may see some abandon things like pneumatic valves in attempts to gain reliability!
This piece from you is totally confusing, as far as I know the PVRS system was the thing that totally eradicated the steel wire spring weakness in high RPM racing engines, with its proved bullet proof reliability at engine RPM'S that the steel wire spring doesn't have a hope to withstand there is no doubt at all about its reliability at lower RPM.
Gaz, I know that with direct injection fuel consumption will be improved, also by other improvements elsewhere, also I know that an improvement figure of 35 per cent was reported, but just to clear some minds, the number of cylinders/pistons being halved will not have much to do with fuel consumption as long as the engines will have the same power output.

107SS2009

December 11, 2010 1:35 PM

Cinder12, as I wrote the other day , we will have to wait for the full final engine specifications from the FIA, as an example the RPM being mentioned now is 12k as opposed to the 10k that were talked about.

« 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  »