F1 » BBC F1 switch will place Brundle 'under unimaginable strain'

The BBC has been warned that its apparent move to put David Coulthard in its F1 commentary box alongside Martin Brundle in 2011 could backfire by placing the latter 'under unimaginable strain'

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Diarmuid - Unregistered

January 04, 2011 12:38 PM

While I agree that this is a terrible move I dont see any quotes in that article that make it worth reading. "A sources said" and an "F1 insider said", is that really the best you can come up with. This is a nothing article if ever I read one.

dantman - Unregistered

January 04, 2011 12:40 PM

paid how much to go around the world talking about cars and living of expenses stumped up as part of the license fee, the strain really must be'unimaginable'

Tom Kelsall - Unregistered

January 04, 2011 12:42 PM

Since when has the Grid Walk been a "much loved" part of the coverage?! It's rubbish and every F1 fan I know agrees. I have no interest in Sylvester Stallone or Naomi Campbell - and I intensely dislike Martin's unbelievably rude treatment of drivers, officials and journalists alike on the grid. It's a pointless and ignored part of the coverage which should be dropped immediately. I also don't like Martin's commentary or his mangling of people's names - but I do understand that I'm less well supported on that front. I wonder if he introduces David as "CULLTHUD" when he's in the commentary box with him?!

P.S. the semi-colon is part of English. It is NOT an invalid character.

Lamarck - Unregistered

January 04, 2011 12:43 PM

As much as I like Coulthard, I'm also a little worried about this pairing. He's great in his previous punditry role but Brundle needs someone to contrast his style - Coulthard is too similar.

On another note, although I understand people's distaste for Legard I'm disappointed that there's no news of the BBC giving that self-important, ****-kissing, frequently factually incorrect prat Eddie Jordan the boot.

Rodriguez 917 - Unregistered

January 04, 2011 12:49 PM

Brundle is the best in the business no doubt but I do think there needs to be someone else to introduce and set the scene. I think Coulthard is best suited to the punditry with Eddie and Jake. The beeb should give the job to Ben Edwards. Edwards has been commentating for as long as I can remember but is always stuck on Eurosport.

ANDYC - Unregistered

January 04, 2011 12:57 PM

Martin Brundle is a superb colour commentator and pundit but wouldn't make a good main race commentator. He needs a race commentator like Ben Edwards or somebody to feed off and bring the best out of him. Bringing Coulthard into to Brundles role and moving Brundle to Legards ex role is surely a mistake. And Coulthard is too dull to be in the commentary box at all.

MAUREEN MAGEE - Unregistered

January 04, 2011 1:06 PM

I am very disappointed that it is Brundle who is the one staying at the BBC. Legard has been the one who has given us the best coverage of what was going on last year. In Brazil, Klien missed the first four laps, with fuel trouble. Half way through the race he said Klien had only done one lap. Legard had to tell him CK was still in the race. Could he not the car with CHRISTIAN in big letters on the side? I have been photographing F1 since 1967, and follow the techniacl side of driving closely. Brindle has never been a top comentator. Listen to Ant Davidson and the others on Five Live give full coverage of what is going on,on Five Live. I am sorry to say that DC is also not suitable for the job. Having heard Ant and others like Jackie Stewart, who know every move the cars make. Some drivers just havent got the "vision" for the job. Brundle on the grid is an embarisment, He should plan with the drivers before hand, not just push his way in. He is not more important than the other interv

rotation rotation - Unregistered

January 04, 2011 1:17 PM

Coulthard also likes to take his time and has a slower speaking-analytical style that would not necessarily fit with the analyst role 'inside' the commentary box. He should remain where he is, next to Jake, where the extra time and focus allows him to do what he does best. In the commentary booth, the action is ongoing and his slower style would force the commentator to keep interrupting him to get back to the action, because Coulthard wants to take his time with the analysis.

Coulthard should remain where he is and so should Brundle. The Beeb just needs to find an excellent knowledgable and charismatic commentator with a great voice, to fill Legard's role. And, oh, get rid of Jordan while they're at it!

1 2 3 4 5  »