F1 » James Hunt life story to be made into Hollywood movie

Hollywood is set to make a big-screen spectacle out of the chequered life story of one of F1's true sporting legends - much-missed 1976 world champion James Hunt

JOHN - Unregistered

January 04, 2011 7:32 PM

I am not really surprised the Hunt family are less than impressed particularly with American ((Spielberg) money buying the rights. If it were perhaps all British maybe it would be ok. That those on the other side of the pond can buy anything, however insitively, is a sad state of affairs.

Johnny U

January 04, 2011 8:29 PM

If this movie comes to be and if anyone from the production crew reads this post, PLEASE use period correct cars. CG them if you must, please do not use anything that resembled those horrible examples of open wheeled cars that were used in Iron Man 2. And for heaven's sake do not let the driver(s) speak while in their cars unless they are cursing one another under their breath. I seriously hope whoever creates this movie watches Grand Prix and Le Mans. Then watches them both again. We do not want another Driven.

Essexredneck

January 04, 2011 9:07 PM

i'm reading the book on which the film will be based and its a cracker. especially the bit about scrutineering a mini. the rules said a passenger seat had to be fitted to the mini. so hunt bolted a deck chair in place and wondered why they wouldn't let him race...

Johnny U

January 04, 2011 9:14 PM

@ Richard, the movie references were merely for the production valve and the realistic way they were both made/filmed, unlike Driven. If I am not mistaken many prototype cars along with actual race drivers were filmed after the actual Le Mans race were they not? Not to mention the 908 camera car that finished the race. Cheers for the reply.

M Bee - Unregistered

January 05, 2011 3:00 AM

First Hollywood said they were going to do a movie about Senna with Antonio Banderas playing the part of Senna (what the hell?), then they said they were going to do a movie about Gilles Villeneuve with Leo DiCaprio as one of the Villeneuves (I'm not sure if its Gilles) Now they say they're going to do a movie about James Hunt? I'll believe it when I see it!

joeh - Unregistered

January 05, 2011 3:26 AM

Fantastic , a REAL F1 personality . Sc**w senna , he was a punk who criminally took out ( admitted MONTHS later ) his own team mate . I could care less about his movie. I cannot wait for a James Hunt movie .

Pete M. - Unregistered

January 05, 2012 10:26 AM

When I first heard a movie was in the works about James Hunt, I was so delighted. He was taken from our midst far too early in his life. In many ways he reminds me of Errol Flynn. That devil may care look
about Flynn is also in Hunts eyes. Ironic that my favorite two drivers in Formula One should be depicted on the big screen. I am, of course referring to Niki Lauda and James Hunt. Friends off the track and bitter rivals on the track. They were exceptional drivers and both knew it. I have followed Grand Prix since the late 60's as a kid and later as an adult. Bar none you will not find a more finer group of race car drivers in the world. James Hunt, Niki Lauda, Jackie Stewart, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jody Scheckter and many other drivers were at the top of their game in the 70's. When they raced, everyone showed up. Rain or shine. It is my understanding that Ron Howard will direct this film. What this means, is it will be very accurate and highly detailed. I am quite sure all the cars, man