F1 » F1 kept punching us - now it needs to understand us

The USGP is a vital addition for the F1 fraternity, but is Austin the right place for the race?

jose - Unregistered

January 05, 2011 7:23 PM

What a Joke...

How many of you guys have ever been to Austin Texas..
A real F1 USGP race in Texas, Tears, not from sand.. From laughing myself silly.. Nuts!!!
Peter Winser must have his finger in the pie someplace Did one of the big boys give Bernie
an oil well?

Bernie streets of New york city. A USGP to rival Monaco, nothing short of that will make the grade...Texas, Texas...someone really have a sense of hummer!!

Jose

Oli - Unregistered

January 05, 2011 8:48 PM

They shouldn't bother. The American public has never taken to F1. The American public have done fine without F1 and F1 has done fine without a large American fan base.

Give the race to a country that has a big F1 fan base and move on. Neither party needs the other one.

Oli

Oli - Unregistered

January 05, 2011 10:14 PM

@Tazz

You are right, and that is despite the fact there is only two car manufacturer left in F1! (I don't include Ferrari because they are an F1 team first and the car sales came afterwards).

But still, it won't last. The GP at Indy was started for exactly the same reason, the manufacturers wanted to hit the US market. F1 does this every few years (remember Vegas, Long Beach, Dallas, Pheonix etc). But it doesn't take off because F1 just doesn't capture the imagination of the American public. After a few seasons the enthusiasm dies and the event stops.

Of course if you throw in a GP where all but six cars pull out before the race then that will always help speed up the process.

Oli

andrew.

January 05, 2011 11:42 PM

The first couple of races in the US will be a success, then the novelty will wear off and this race will go the same way as other US GPs.

Another couple things to consider is the record uneployment in the US. I'm not sure what the exact figures are but I'm pretty sure going to see a bunch of rich boys play chasies isn't going to be a priority or affordable for a lot of potential fans.

Then there is the recession with the US something like $11 trillion in debt. A figure that (as Rich Hall said in one of his gigs not too long ago) is too big a figure for most people to comprehend.

theyank

January 06, 2011 3:56 PM

A little late to this thread...but here goes anyway.

All the tracks mentioned in the previous USGP circuit-bashing marathon are post Watkins Glen.
Watkins Glen was a beautiful, fun circuit reachable via two-lane roads in New York state's Finger Lakes region. The place and the races (F1, Can-AM, 6-Hour, and the vintage events) were magic. The USGP was held in the fall with the incredible foliage colors of the northeast US as a backdrop.

Every venue since then has included crap circuits at both questionable and excellent locations. Yes continental F1 fans, Indy's track sucked Big Time. For me, the ideal track should challenge the drivers' abilities with elevation changes including a descending, off-camber turn, an apex at the top of a rise, a decreasing radius corner, and passing opportunities for drivers with courage and ability. After that, avid fans should be able to move quickly and easily from one interesting turn to another during practice and the race.

The conclusion? Th

theyank

January 06, 2011 4:13 PM

oops! Exceeded my character limit and big brother cut me off. Had a girlfriend once who did that. :)

The conclusion? The US needs a purpose-built F1 track incorporating the design concepts in the abbreviated entry above. Look at the track design details for the Austin circuit. Looks promising to me.

Just had a flashback to sleeping in my old Porsche at the Mosport track during a Canadian Grand Prix weekend after my first meal of chips and vinegar. Some decent accomodations, restuarants, and a nearby flugplatz would also be nice. Fan-friendly also includes easy access to/from the track on raceday. I think Austin has all these.

Finally, don't confuse the Peter Windbag management style (all hat & no cattle) with what is happening in Austin. I think we will see a world-class facility that both challenges the drivers and caters to the fans. Just in case you have confused me with a Texan, let me hasten to add Tuck Fexas. :)

Simon - Unregistered

January 06, 2011 9:28 PM

Taz is right - F1 does need the US and all the players involved have stated so repeatedly. Hard to be a truely global series when it ignores the biggest car market in the world and I imagine probably the biggest number of auto racing fans in the world (just a guess but NASCAR, Indy etc...)

Theyank is totally right, Watkins Glen was a wonderful circuit.

There are plenty of F1 fans in the country (just take a look at how many of us trek north to Montreal each year) and Austin is certainly a high profile city in US if not internationally. A great choice and I'll be booking my tickets as soon as I can.

1 2  »