F1 » Brawn: Pirelli tyres might not save Schumacher

Pirelli's arrival might not help Michael Schumacher as much as some people have predicted, says Ross Brawn.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

spaghettieddie - Unregistered

January 08, 2011 4:00 PM

I thought his problem was the car was "to pointy". I know he had mentioned tires but...who in their right mind ever thought that the tires were the cause of his problems? Just do not get it.

Alan D - Unregistered

January 08, 2011 4:07 PM

Eddie, I think its the other way round. Schumacher prefers cars which oversteer. Button, like the majority of drivers, prefers understeer. An oversteering car is generally harder to drive, less forgiving, but at the sweet spot it can carry more speed through the corners.

Alan D - Unregistered

January 08, 2011 4:18 PM

As for the relationship to tyres, I think the front tyres are now skinnier than they were prior to his retirement and the skinnier the front compared to the rear, the more a car will understeer (I think I've got that right). Also, the more the weight balance is towards the rear, the more the car will understeer. And of course, if you have a huge front wing and skinny front tyres, when you get in turbulent air the car will tend to understeer.

JJ9871011

January 08, 2011 4:35 PM

I would like to see MS play more an active role in the championship this year. That being said, a voice in the back of my mind tells me that MS is a spent force. IMHO he has to produce some podiums, if not a win this year to keep his seat. With young guns like Hulk floating around, I can't help but think Merc will think more of a long term solution if MS doesn't produce.

For MS, I hope this swan song will be good for him.

spaghettieddie - Unregistered

January 08, 2011 4:47 PM

@Alan, Happy New Year! I just went back and did a bit of research and he talked about having a problem with the smaller front tires, so that was an issue, but I could not find the "I like a pointy car" VS. "I do not like a pointy car" quote. I know it is in a Crash article but could not find it. Anyways,I am suffering from CRS on this one and you could well be right. Just cant remember. OH WELL! Ed

Brad Riley - Unregistered

January 08, 2011 5:16 PM

Getting the excuses ready here i think. Brawn knows that Schumacher won't be much better than he was last year.
Schumacher seems to think he'll be in the title hunt in 2011, how can he know that, I'm very doubtful he'll perform any better.
I do hope he does though, I'd like to see him be successful again.
Just think he's had his best days in F1.

spaghettieddie - Unregistered

January 08, 2011 5:20 PM

"I'd say tyres are the thing that has changed most since I last raced three years ago. With my driving style, I have to get the car to the point that I work better with this narrower front tyre. I want the car to move around the corner the way I think it should be doing it. That's something we have to work on."

Michael Shumacher

All I could find so far. Ed

Essexredneck

January 08, 2011 6:19 PM

I don't see how Charles Heater's results will improve this year. He still has new tyres to learn but will take longer to do so than the younger drivers. He never was all that good under pressure and that is what will increase this year, not least from the board of Mercedes. Expect to see more Hungary/Canada style fallibility.

Alan D - Unregistered

January 08, 2011 8:31 PM

There is a good video on YouTube of Martin Brundle showing the difference from the driver's viewpoint of an understeering versus oversteering F1 car. It is interesting to see how much he has to fight with the wheel in the oversteering car. Remember Brundle came from an era when an F1 car was more likely to tend towards oversteer so he is probably more used to oversteering cars than today's understeering ones.

Search YouTube for