F1 » BBC to show F1 in HD after FOM makes feed available to all

After Bernie Ecclestone's Formula One Management (FOM) organisation announced that it will make an HD feed available to all F1 broadcasters this year, the BBC has become one of the first to sign up

GIXXER - Unregistered

January 12, 2011 7:36 PM

Why not a 3D HD broadcast, thought F1 was the pinnacle of technology.

Only now catching up with HD after all this time.

Not Impressed at all. Superbike has already done HD, and Bike GP's did night races first aswell.

Why dont they remove two of the wheels and be done with it, instead of follow my leader on bike racing.
Atleast the racing would be good and not put me to sleeeeep

p.s. THE F1 points system seems familiar aswell hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Craig - Unregistered

January 12, 2011 9:16 PM

Gutted I don't have BBC HD, hopefully we'll get to the stage when BBC 1 shows HD programs as standard and I'll get to experience this.

I think it'll look amazing in HD

minardimatt - Unregistered

January 13, 2011 12:05 AM

About time! When I first saw a HD TV it was in a electrical store that was showing F1 in HD as a demonstration and it looked so good I was converted on the technology almost instantly. To think that FOM have only just given the BBC HD coverage is puzzling considering that Bernie was touting when the BBC regained the contract that they had a lot more media streams and could offer more for the viewing public.

I can't wait now!

minardimatt - Unregistered

January 13, 2011 12:08 AM

As for 3-D.... I just don't see the point in the technology at all so even considering that for me is a waste of time. Want to see F1 close up?? Go to a race! I don't wanna sit watching TV with some silly 3-D glasses on, who cares if you see things pop out of the screen I'd swap that for clarity anytime of the week.
A while back I watched Clash Of The Titans in 3D... a quarter of the way in I took the glasses off... its just a big con by TV companies to make more money!

ESLKid75

January 13, 2011 12:20 AM

Agree with you, Matt. 3D is just a BS gimmick to push new tv sets down our throats. I'm totally excited about Formula One in HD though. Awesome.

Speed TV here in the US just confirmed they will broadcast HD as well!

Woohoo, can't wait for March 11 now!

Gixxer - Unregistered

January 13, 2011 12:34 PM

Your a fickle bunch, go and see 3D at an Imax before you comment.

Atleast we can fall asleep infront of a high def broadcast instead of the Low Quality borefest.

If you have been to watch an F1 event youll know you have to stand a mile away from the track, unless you have marshalled the an event like me, even then It was boring in comparison to a bike race.

Billy .

January 13, 2011 1:56 PM

@Marnadimatt To be fair, Clash of the Titans isn't the best example of what 3D cinema can perform, the 3Dness was created post production, not at source. I'd recommend Avatar and Tron Legacy.

HD cameras are apparently alot larger, so will the in car cams be upgraded too?
Or will pit and track side be HD and in car SD?

Buck Bundy

January 14, 2011 9:46 AM

I think the point is that 3D TV is a waste of money, not 3D cinema.

Having seen Avatar in the cinema and been sat pretty close to the screen the feeling of being drawn into the action was incredible, but that just wouldn't happen on TV. Avatar was carefully crafted to create that impression, but a live sporting event could never be.

socks - Unregistered

January 16, 2011 1:59 PM

Billy

Go to your local Electrical store. See how small the HD camcorders are now. In fact I think that the onboards are already HD. They seem to have a quality to them that the outside cameras didn't

1 2  »