F1 » Lopez: There's only one Lotus, anything else is bullsh*t

Tony Fernandes should give up the pretence and admit that the Lotus naming row is all about money, argues Gérard Lopez, as the Lotus Renault GP chairman insists: "I can tell when somebody is trying to twist things."

almaaaaa

February 01, 2011 11:38 AM

I shall quote an article from Autosport:

The Pole also played down the significance of the Lotus brand reappearing in his team's name.

"I think Lotus is our sponsor. At least from what I know it is a sponsor," he said when asked if he dreamt to drive for Lotus.

"So I could also say it is my dream to drive for Total. I think it would be different if Lotus owned the team and were fully involved into the team. It's a good partner to have and they have high ambitions. It looks promising."

---

Lotus Renault GP driver, Robert Kubica, himself seems unsure if Lotus is a sponsor or owns part of the team.

Jonno - Unregistered

February 01, 2011 11:48 AM

Is F1 worlds pettiest sport? Judging by the two Lotus teams it would seem so.

Even as a lotus fan I'm bored of this now, just shut up and race . . .

Alan D - Unregistered

February 01, 2011 12:01 PM

Something that has slipped by almost unnoticed is that this article appears to say that if the 1MRT Lotus changes its name this year then Bernie uses that as an excuse not to pay them the prize money for last year. I thimk it was Brawn had the same problem when they took over the Honda team.

pitlaneprowler - Unregistered

February 01, 2011 12:21 PM

Wise up everyone. This is business and about cash only. Not heritage or anything. LRGP have never claimed to be the "old Lotus" from years gone by.
Fernandes is very good at working you all up with his "poor me" comments all the time. He is playing you. It's just about his money. He invested in F1 to make money - just like the other teams.

f1 fan - Unregistered

February 01, 2011 12:38 PM

The real or original lotus closed its doors years ago but that is not the point Renault are trying to claim to be the only real lotus on the grid well group lotus is just a sponsor of Renault ( who by the way are not even owned by Renault and also sponsored by lada )so not sure how they worked that one out. and saying fernandes is only intrested in money is hypocritical bs they are all only intrested in money collin Chapman formed team lotus as a f1 constructor not a sponsor so because team lotus do build and design their own cars they have more right to consider themselves the real lotus team on the grid

Calvin _

February 01, 2011 12:44 PM

I'm in the Fernandes camp. They seem to have the racing spirit and have competed and look to want to carry on. Lotus (cars) however, look to be in it for a short term to try and spoil it for Team Lotus. Lotus (cars) have announced many new cars for the future. This is going to cost a lot in development, so will they have the funds to stay in F1 for more than a couple of years, in a crisis? I wouldn't bet on them. Until Lotus (cars) have backed up their talk with action, I'll still be in the Fernandes camp.

1 2 3 4  »