F1 » Renault admits rallying 'vital' for Kubica

Lotus Renault GP has admitted that it was happy to allow Robert Kubica to go rallying, despite the obvious risks the extra-curricular activity posed.

Alan D - Unregistered

February 07, 2011 12:36 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with drivers taking part in other activities in the off-season, whether its rallying, skiing, flying helicopters, etc. Webber's accident last year was when he was cycling in a managed event which you'd think would be one of the least risky things a driver could be doing in their spare time. But I was a little surprised that Kubica was rallying now that the pre-season testing had started. I thought he would have been at Enstone all day every day talking to engineers. Until now there was little the drivers could do, but now I'd have thought they were all focussing on the coming season. That's not a criticism, just surprise.

50 Cent - Unregistered

February 07, 2011 3:26 PM

He is the "old school" competitor. when he had his terrible shount in Motreal the first words that came out of his mouth were when will I be able to get back into the car. So it would not surprise me that he'll insist that he'll be able to rally, that is if he comes back, hope he does.

Alan D - Unregistered

February 07, 2011 5:58 PM

Arcuid, would you also stop drivers from using cycles in case they injure themselves like Webber did last year? Would you stop them driving themselves up and down the motorway? Would you stop them going on skiing holidays? What about climbing a ladder to get something out of the loft and falling through the ceiling, (we've all done that haven't we), or mowing the garden and running the blades over your foot? Point is, rallying isn't especially dangerous, and you'll always get freak accidents. You shouldn't have knee jerk reactions to one accident.

arcuid

February 07, 2011 7:58 PM

Thank you Alan D but in light of the situation AND Mark Webber's bike accident where he injured his shoulder and possibly the reason why his form fell in the last 4 races teams MAY have to think twice about a driver's extra curricular activities if they want them fit and healthy. Rallying and motor biking can be as dangerous as running a lawn mower blades over your foot. Remember there were rumors of a possible amputation on Kubica's case so excuse me if this lady reaction in your mind is too "knee jerk."

50 Cent - Unregistered

February 07, 2011 9:32 PM

Was it worth it you asked - hind sight is always 20/20, this was a freak accident. Robert is a "gun slinger" and we all like people that make it exciting for us on the track. That's why we like racers like Robert and Kimi for who they are. Both of those guys were getting a lot of criticism for apparent lack of personality. Personally I take that, and true passion for racing of any form than somebody who is a good interview. Kimi said it that F1 is to safe these days. All those Tilke tracks with mixture of long straights and tight hair pins make me puke.. In the last 5 years I've seen some moves, on F1 tracks, that guys would not attempt on the old tracks...Lets not kid ourselves if Robert comes back I doubt there will be any outfit out there that will stop him from doing what he loves..And if that happens he'll just walk IMO.

Alan D - Unregistered

February 07, 2011 10:12 PM

Arcuid, the point is, whatever he was doing at the weekend, he could have had some sort of freak accident. He could have been at home making himself a ham sandwich and still have suffered an injury that put him out of the car for weeks. I don't think rallying is obviously dangerous. How often do decent rally drivers get hospitalised for more than an overnight precautionary check? Not that often. I don't think we can wrap drivers up in cotton wool and tell them they mustn't do anything when they are not driving just in case they injure themselves.

Alan D - Unregistered

February 07, 2011 10:20 PM

A412, I find it impossible to read your posts. I usually get half way through the second line and give up because your idea of capitalising every word just makes it ridiculously hard to work out where your sentences start and end and when things are names. I guess you think it makes you look cool and unconventional or something, but that's not an opinion shared by others. If you go to all that trouble to write those words, I figure you'd like other people to actually read them, but maybe not.

« 1 2 3  »