F1 » Melbourne won't seek return as season-opener

The Australian Grand Prix Corporation insists that it is happy with its late-March slot on the F1 calendar and won't seek a move to open future campaigns.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Caroline Reid - Unregistered

February 23, 2011 12:02 PM

The sanctioning fee for Bahrain is $37m, of that it is alleged $12m is for the privilege of hosting the first race of the season, although the FOWC ltd and Bahrain deny this.

Alan D - Unregistered

February 23, 2011 12:36 PM

Caroline, where did you find those figures? All the reports I've seen are saying the race fee is believed to be between USD 30m and 40m with an additional fee for being the first race. I've not seen anyone saying they know the fees for sure.

I've also wondered if the variation in figures is due to currency confusion. I think all the FOM fees are set in US Dollars, but sometimes journalists translate them to UK Pounds etc which can result in additional confusion.

CommodoreS

February 23, 2011 12:56 PM

Allan does anybody know (Except Bernie) what fees are applied through all the wheeling and dealing.

Despite their existance they would be exhorbitant
and beyond the realms of viability outside of tourism and showcasing your country.

At the moment I do not feel for Aust as we are in a position to afford it however the deal Silverstone has entered leaves a lot to be considered.

The common currency for F1 is Euro

Melbs - Unregistered

February 23, 2011 1:04 PM

The unfortunate thing is, the 5pm start is a deal breaker for me. I have been attending the race since 1996 and paid upwards for 1500 a ticket ever since as my son and I brought corporate every year.

However, with a race at 5pm and sometimes takes 1hr or more to get out of the track and being in some cases 10:30 before you get home, we haven't attended since... seeing as work is on the Monday.

The last 5yrs or so we had skybox roof tickets that ended with a price of 1800-1900 each for the 4 days. Now that package is no longer available and the packages have dropped from 4 to 3 days and the prices haven't changed... but rather gone up (except paddock club).

No thanks, I'll be watching it on TV.

Joe - Unregistered

February 23, 2011 1:16 PM

Shame really, would love to see Australia back at the start of the season, or really any number of more interesting tracks than Bahrain.

As for the start time thing, I personally don't see much point in the slightly later running. It's still 6 or 7am on a sunday which isn't exactly a fun time to wake up!

If they really do charge that much extra for the privelege of opening the season, it's no wonder Bahrain's been shoved there for the last few years. That probably explains why Abu Dhabi was put at the end of the season too.

Alan D - Unregistered

February 23, 2011 1:48 PM

Commodore, you may be right about F1 fees being done in Euros but if so that would have to be a relatively recent change and some contracts would certainly predate the Euro. I was pretty sure I'd read somewhere that the FOM contracts were written in USD, not UKP. Maybe for some races they agree on USD amounts, and for the EU countries the now do it all in Euros.