F1 » HRT claims 'miracle' but packs up early

The HRT team is already looking ahead to the Malaysian Grand Prix after missing the reinstated 107 per cent qualifying cut in Australia.

Ben M - Unregistered

March 26, 2011 12:22 PM

To be fair the car was a lot faster than I expected it to be in quali - I thought we'd have another Lastercard Lola situation (remember them?).

CommodoreS

March 26, 2011 12:39 PM

Ben M you are joking right.

In their outing during practice they were are a roadblock and nearly caused a accident. The same applied to Qualifying.

They were a embarrasment to themselves and F1.

Yeah I feel for them but they have to expect the inevitable. Waste of time casting sunshine when their is a dark cloud

jose - Unregistered

March 26, 2011 1:08 PM

Simple, HRT needs testing time. The FIA should do the right thing for all new competitors. Allow free open testing to all cars performing below position 10 on the grid. If HRT is not allowed to start they should be allowed to private test at the track of choice. This would let lessor teams a fairer shot at moving up the grid.

Badman, Jose

CommodoreS

March 26, 2011 1:40 PM

The simple fact is jose they were not ready when they should have been.

They were still finishing one car this morning and yesterday sent one car around at snails pace to prove they were their.

Either they have the finances or not. Why put themselves and others concerned through grief

Their were ample test days and they missed them.

What would have happened if Bahrain was a goer

andrew.

March 26, 2011 1:49 PM

I noticed that neither of the HRTs were using their DRS. Both cars were picked up a lot during the TV coverage on the main straight not once use the DRS used.

It was almost as if HRT didn't want to qualify or their DRS does not work. Either way, there an effin' shambles.

PF - Unregistered

March 26, 2011 1:51 PM

I'm very much a supporter of HRT. There's just something about an underdog team that makes me support them.

I can't lie, the fact that they didn't get to test their new car was a joke. And this new car is the result of yet another previous embarrassment when they couldn't pay for the 2010 Toyota chassis.

However, I still maintain my arguement that they did what USF1 didn't do. They had a car running (albeit off the pace) and completed a season. They now have a second car built by the team. Now although they just got their car up and running, surely since it is their own car they can develope it over the course of the season (should funds allow).

Don't count them out yet, they have survived and that alone is a miracle. Whats stiopping them improving as the season goes on? They are better than teams such as Andrea Moda, Coloni, EuroBrun and Life. HRT may seem lackluster by todays standards, but those teams WERE lackluster.

jose - Unregistered

March 26, 2011 3:49 PM

To All.. not much of a writer here..what I was really trying to say is that HRT and any team qualifying less than position 10 should allowed to do test as much as needed to move up the grid and get to Q3..This would improve competition. I'am sure money is a big factor here..What we need is more competitive teams. This simple rule change would really aid the lessor teams. expensive Ad-ons like KERS and a workable movable wings is a expensive road block for the little guy..Remember Jordan they did a reasonable good job. With open testing they could up their game and save big bucks at the same time. Don't count HRT out of the game just yet. Unrestricted testing can will really help the new guys..

Jose

Hey Noony Mouse - Unregistered

March 26, 2011 4:54 PM

Considering they did no Friday running, barely any Saturday running and of course missed all of pre-season testing, to be 2 seconds off the next slowest is actually quite an admirable performance.

Do they need to improve? Yes. Do the drivers need more time in the car? Hell yes. Is this possible? I do hope so.

Considering just how far behind they are in mileage, I think there is possible promise here. The car must be relatively capable to have gotten as close as they did.

Good luck to them!

Ben M - Unregistered

March 26, 2011 6:13 PM

No Commodore, I was not joking, If you turn up for a grand prix with ZERO testing and no money, being two seconds outside the qualifying cutoff is better than a lot of people expected. I didn't say that meant they should have been allowed to compete.

I'm assuming you even know what I was referring to with the comment about Mastercard Lola??