F1 » US GP construction 'on schedule'

US GP organisers insist work is on schedule in Austin, Texas on new F1 venue

John - Unregistered

April 05, 2011 11:34 PM

Really?
Why set such an aggressive schedule? There has been time to achieve more in the project to date .
To insist they're on track and that a very tight deadline is normal beggars belief.
Any small delay and the the project is compromised.
Why would you plan it that way?
In my experience you set a realistic target, you don't go for the worst case scenario and try to achieve it.

daniel edone

April 06, 2011 4:12 AM

I've been a F1 fan since the 60's !Been to every F1 track in the USA since the 60's arrogance will not work ! waiting til the last moment will doom this the sad thing in North America is that we have failed over and over to catch on in along term way to F1 look at Watkins Glen who would have ever thought it would go away! Indy was Indy lots of free tickets and curiosity from the locals for hundreds of miles around ! it was a flop in 3 years! Texas has nothing to show for F1 ! I was at Dallas in 84 a fun joke it was ! how about Texas World Speedway ? it's a unsafe dump now! I thought that F1in Texas would be a farce until Red McCombs got involved ! now I wonder ? Ther does not seem to be much faith in people that I talk to here in Texas that this will come off ! now that I read this story I have less faith that it will !Texas has never had a succesful profitable sportscar or open wheel rece ever why did we think we could change that history now ? Good luck !

ESLKid75

April 06, 2011 7:51 AM

I for one really want an F1 race in the US. Do I think Texas is the best place for it? Definitely not. That's NASCAR country...

Best quote I heard last week: NASCAR is the WWE of motorsports. :-)

Anyway, a race in California would make a lot more sense. It is a more cosmopolitan place where F1 has some support already. Problem is I don't know a track that could accomodate F1... Laguna Seca would be awesome, but it's not realistic. Bummer.

PM - Unregistered

April 06, 2011 5:10 PM

Texas has a very successful track close to Dallas called Texas Motor Speedway
TMS has had great success since it opened many years ago. Texas also is not bankrupt like California. Texas has the allure and sophistication of many cities. Let's not forget that Texas is home to 50 plus BILLIONAIRES !!
NASCAR is huge in America not just in Texas and so what if it is compared to WWF. NASCAR is A money making marketing machine. I fully support F1 USA and look forward to many years of fun and excitement for myself and my clients.

Mark _

April 06, 2011 6:56 PM

@USA not needed - There are plenty of Americans that understand and appreciate F1. The Indy races had more spectators than any other F1 race. One failed team headed by Windy (who is not even an American) means little. Assuming that you are an expert on F1 you would know that USF1 was just a ploy by Max to create a two tiered series and to splinter the FOTA breakaway attempt. If Gnassi or Penske had put a F1 team together there is little doubt that they would have made the grid.

Will F1 ever be the most popular motorsport in the US? It is not likely but that does not mean that it has no place here.

r. ferrara - Unregistered

April 09, 2011 10:29 PM

I have been involved in large scale construction projects for over 35 years. And have watched another supposedly high quality sports car race track being poorly built in North Texas. In my opinion that track & the Austin track have a common denominator: More optimism than reality because of overly enthusiastic owners who do not understand the details of quality construction.
In my opinion King Bernie will use Austin's failure to meet his standards to say "I told you that the USA isn't serious about F1.