F1 » Hard-hitting Todt says F1 processions are 'unacceptable'

As he remains firmly at-odds with F1 commercial rights-holder Bernie Ecclestone regarding the sport's future, FIA President Jean Todt has vowed that boring grands prix must become a thing of the past

Liam - Unregistered

April 07, 2011 4:02 PM

First of all i would love to see Abu Dhabi dropped from the calender for the return of the A1-Ring, Magny Cours or Argentina or some older track before my time. The Middle and far Eat tracks are rubbish, they concentrate mostly on the look of the place than the track itself.

Second of all please MotoGP don't go to a track like Abu Dhabi that means we'll lose a good track such as Estoril or Sachsenring.

Jean Todt makes a great point, the tracks need to be chaqnged for better overtaking especially the new ones.

RD350LC - Unregistered

April 07, 2011 4:17 PM

There is something fundamentally wrong with the world at the moment
For the second time in a week I am agreeing with what someone from the FIA is saying
I was as sceptical as the next man when Todt got the job but it looks like for once we may have someone in the FIA who isn't as mad as a box of frogs

& Liam I agree 100% with you about MotoGP The Abu Dhabi circuit is for want of a better word Pants

Bluey - Unregistered

April 07, 2011 4:24 PM

well i don't know much about F1, i'm a MotoGP fan myself, BUT, watching the races now and then out of curiosity, and having an objective viewpoint (as i don't really have passion car racing) i would say: make the cars slightly smaller, with smaller engines (maybe turbo fours), run a sprint race as in MotoGP, with no pitstops and one set of tires, and run two races per meeting as in WSBK, that way you get a nice long viewing time.

perhaps i'll be criticised for these comments but hey, as i said... tho i don't really have a passion for car racing, these changes would at least make me watch.

-Blue

Munro Gow - Unregistered

April 07, 2011 4:28 PM

Another article about overtaking and the usual talk about removing certain circuits. How about they just get shot of Tilke as a designer and let racing drivers have a bash at it. The majority of new GP tracks have been designed by him and as a result dont work. It is not the nations who put money into the tracks that are at fault but the designer of the tracks as well as the modern car design.

Look at golf, they have pro's deisgning magnificent and challenging courses all pver the world and it works as they know what they want from a course. Has Tilke got any racing experience? Dont think he has.

Alan D - Unregistered

April 07, 2011 4:40 PM

Munro, I think Tilke drove in some sports car racing but I think it was only a German series so his experience of tracks might be limited and no experience of the monster braking and grip of an F1 car.

I'm not sure Tilke should be taking so much flak. I don't think he had any part in Hungaroring and that has never had overtaking since the day it opened. If you look at the "traditional" circuits then in recent years it has been all but impossible to overtake on most of them, so a lot of the problems are down to car design, not the track. However, they could fix the cars and then find the Tilke circuits are still crap, and its not as if we've seen more overtaking at Tilke circuits.

I certainly think he has designed enough circuits though. He seems to have a monopoly on circuit design, as if he is an expert, but I suspect that is because new circuits don't dare take a risk with an unknown architect when the FIA/Bernie is pushing them to use a safe pair of hands like Tilke.

FreddyFreeloader

April 07, 2011 4:45 PM

Yas Marina could be easily made good. Get rid of that chicane. Get rid of all chicanes on the end of straights. 90% of overtaking is done under braking. FA had no chance of passing VP cause the main overtaking spot has a chicane in the way.

Dirk Beekmann - Unregistered

April 07, 2011 4:49 PM

To Whom It May Concern

My nickname for F1 is "follow me round", which I have said for the last couple of years, I watch it because my mate still enjoys it and it's just to keep him company. We are avid SBK and Moto GP fans and sit on the edge of our seats as these gladiators battle to the flag, as both of us partake on our superbikes at trackdays. Not withstanding the extraordinary talent F1 drivers have, Bernie should be shot for making the sport into a procession. Slicks, engines within a confined limit, minimal aerodynamic assistance and a race to the flag limit the electronics too !! Oh and don't forget no tracks which don't promote overtaking !!!

1 2 3 4  »