F1 » Virgin sporting director backs free-to-air F1

Graeme Lowdon argues that F1 needs to remain on free-to-air TV and not go down the pay-per-view route

Rod Serling

April 26, 2011 1:27 PM

I will no longer watch F1 if it is on pay-per-view television. I will not sponsor the senseless reduction in audience for such a short term gain.

Reduce the audience & you reduce the significance of the sport, such as pay-per-view has done for boxing & darts etc. In my opinion pay-per-view, with the advent of the internet has had it's day.

RawDawg

April 26, 2011 1:27 PM

pay per view?

I wouldn't pay to watch F1 or any other motorsport or race. Ridiculous.

And why would the current sponsors pay what they are paying now if less people world wide will see the logos? How will the team justify their sponsorship packages with less eye balls in the TV audience?

philbell800@msn.com - Unregistered

April 26, 2011 1:38 PM

I suspect sky thinks it would bring in a lot more subscribers but in reality most people won't pay for something that is only on a couple of hours a month. I certainly wouldn't subscribe, at best I'd watch a few european races in the pub, other than that I wouldn't bother and I haven't missed a race since '94.

Gixxer - Unregistered

April 26, 2011 2:01 PM

Pitty the BBC does not also drop Motogp coverage so it can be exclusive on Eurosport in the UK. instead of the second rate coverage it currently gets.

notsonewf1fan

April 26, 2011 2:20 PM

I would quite happily pay the Beeb just a little bit extra just to keep F1 because they do such a brilliant job that it would be worth it,and if Murdoch gets his hands on it you can kiss goodbye to seeing all the practice sessions you will even be lucky to still see qualifying.This great sport will all but be finished if he buys it and that will be it for me.

Oldmosis

April 26, 2011 2:21 PM

Having read about this on another website, the Concorde Agreement clause says the sport should be "shown free to air where there are suitable broadcasters prepared to do this." Last year there were around 527 million viewers on free to view channels worldwide, and the sponsorship deals would surely drastically diminish if this were to change.

Yes the Concorde is up for renewal next year, but would need all the teams and the FIA to agree a change. Would they be willing to risk losing sponsorship if the viewing figures decreased as drastically as I believe they will if they went pay-per-view??

sinistre - Unregistered

April 26, 2011 2:26 PM

I hope it does go to pay per view because then the BBC can transmit the new wall painting competitions, because watching paint dry is a thousand times more interesting than formula yawn

1 2 3  »