F1 » TWG approves FOTA version of 2013 rules

F1's Technical Working Group has approved the teams' vision of the future by endorsing FOTA's rules direction for 2013.

blzbub

May 17, 2011 12:19 PM

if a team wants to use a 1.6L turbo, let them use them, a new team (or williams) may turn up with a very good one, and if they can qualify within 107 percent of maybe a red bull with a naturally aspirated 2.4L infiniti then more power to them.

FreddyFreeloader

May 17, 2011 12:29 PM

@ Blzbub - I agree. Personally, I liked the old V10's but a 1.6 litre turbo will be small, very light and make big power. The car will look different to a V8 as well. It might work and make the class more open so bring it.

slightlysideways

May 17, 2011 12:36 PM

Still not sure why F1 needs to have a 'green' image, it's not exactly your average greenpeace supporter's favourite sport.
It will not be good for the true fans if the new engines are quiet and slow. I read in F1 racing that the cars only use 1 million litres of fuel per year which is next to nothing in relation to the whole F1 circus.
They should focus on lowering broadcasting and transport emissions somehow,instead of their proposals to soften the cars.

JACKBEE

May 17, 2011 1:40 PM

Is it just me, or is it not odd that Rory Byrne is on both the FIA and FOTA working groups?

ps// I am not casting any aspersions on Rory or his motives, just seems a potentially a bit of conflict.

Ian S - Unregistered

May 17, 2011 2:42 PM

My memories of the last turbo era was of multiple engine blow ups. Maybe things have moved on since then, but I personally can't see much benefit to them.

Rob01 - Unregistered

May 17, 2011 3:19 PM

No matter what engine used they can't blow up. Last I read/heard the new engine formula was to further increase the amount of time a engine must be used.

USF1_Fan - Unregistered

May 17, 2011 3:36 PM

The FOTA rules seem to be much better for the sport than the other ones: cheaper and more in line with current practice which is of benefit to ALL the teams.
Having to develop all the new stuff, as per the other proposed rules would be far more costly and likely result in only the most well funded teams being competitive. The FOTA rules would at least allow the other to teams a chance of being competitive in comparison.

I do agree that it would be good to see another engine variation involved. This would make F1 less of a spec-racing series as it has almost become.

Personally while I understand the appeal of the "sound" I think it irrelevant to the ultimate goal: winning performance. If someone can come up with a 1.x liter turbo engine that is fast enough and reliable enough to compete, good. I do think that a 1.6 liter would be too easy to be competitive with- perhaps 1.2 or 1.4 liters.

1 2 3 4  »