F1 » BBC to drop F1 in 2013?

“The proposal to dump F1 will be among a package of measures to be put to the BBC Trust in the early autumn,” says the Sunday Times

Snail

June 20, 2011 11:33 AM

I do hope that F1 stays with the Beeb, the coverage (apart from the commentary) is brilliant.The red button and online features are a joy to watch.
If it went to PPV a huge slice of audience would be lost.

DBL

June 20, 2011 11:42 AM

Lose F1 or BBC4, tough decision, F1....BBC4.....F1....BBC4.... what the hell is BBC4 anyway apart from an outlet for the BBC to broadcast programmes made by it's champagne socialist luvvies that nobody watches. Easy decision then.

Stoo - Unregistered

June 20, 2011 11:54 AM

Bin it and spend the money on WSBK and BSB. Then I can bin my Eurosport/Sky subscription!
Far more entertainment and action on 2-wheels than the 7000-lap-strategist-bore that F1's become...

andrew. - Unregistered

June 20, 2011 12:17 PM

Read todays press and you will see that the report by the Sunday Times (owned by News Corp) is pure rubbish and full of mistakes.

The BBC won't drop F1 and MrE won't let F1 drop from free-to-air. The sponsors would not wear it as it would cut out a huge audience and reduce sponsor exposure.

pp916 - Unregistered

June 20, 2011 12:22 PM

Couldn't care less about F1 staying on the BBC or not but the coverage is extravagant, no doubt considerably more expensive than any other sport they cover other than one off's like the Olympics, and the whole thing is more of a gigantic global business enterprise than a sport......but I really do wish they'd give up the rights to Motogp and let someone have it that would do it justice, currently the BBC treat it with scant interest yet Eurosport are still vetoed from showing the main race live due to the BBC's monopoly.

Green Monster

June 20, 2011 12:23 PM

Between 2 and 4 million viewers? I didn't realise it was that low :/ the MotoGP race from Barcelona attracted the attention of over 7 million Italians alone!

But I agree loose BBC4, I've had freeview/Virgin for 6 years and I can honestly say I've never watched a program on that channel.

If they get rid of F1 I hope it gets a good home with a strong commentary team i.e. Martin Brundle and other. Also hope it doesn't go to Sky after Virgin fell out with them!

Mr Know it All - Unregistered

June 20, 2011 12:58 PM

Simple, the BBC rely on licence payers, not advertisers and F1 is hyper expensive which helps pay for all the champagne, private jets, supercars and fabulous lifestyles of the brats that work in F1. So the answer is simple, drop the price bernie to the Beeb so they are happy with paying it as the conflict is, as normal in F1, about money. Their game isnt awash with cash Bernie like yours Bernie so do us all a favour.....

UGGI - Unregistered

June 20, 2011 1:31 PM

Formula 1 and top gear are the only programmes I ever watch on the BBC, They would have a hard job justifing my TV licence fees to me if they did ditch F1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7  »