F1 » F1 appears no closer to engine unity

Even as the F1 Commission prepares to meet to discuss the issue, teams and manufacturers are no nearer a common engine policy for the sport.

Pete - Unregistered

June 21, 2011 1:32 PM

F1 exists because racing cars in fun and people like watching it. the fact that people like watching it makes it attractive for sponsors. It should always be this way around. F1 is NOT just an advertising tool for car manufacturers it is a sport. Yes F1 should be made to appeal to manufacturers but not at the expense of the fans, if fans want to watch something that is relevant to their car then they watch the BTCC, why doesn't Renault enter that? F1 is great at the moment, why mess it up?

The vast majority of fans want big exciting engines like V12s and V10s, it is a nonsense to pretend to be green with KERS and four cylinder engines. Who would want to watch a competition of the finest engineering minds in the world to make the most fuel efficient engine over the fastest most powerful?? Seems absurd that the Formula Renault racing I saw this weekend will have bigger engines that the top category.

DeRat - Unregistered

June 21, 2011 2:35 PM

Just give engine suppliers specs they have to stay withiin as far as horse power and torque and let them at it even implement a budget or something and just let them do there own thing eventually it will all lead back to them all making what is most competitive.

But if there must be a change then V6 twin Turbos may be cool.

DeRat

USF1_Fan - Unregistered

June 21, 2011 2:57 PM

While I agree with much of the above post- F1 exists because people watch it and that makes it worthwhile for manufacturers and so on, I disagree about fans having big V8 or V10 engines as a PRIME attraction.
I think the main attraction is racing.
Fast racing, close racing and even sometimes dangerous racing.

I would rather watch a fast and furious F1 race with a lot of passing and lead changes and top speeds near 200 mph powered by 2 cylinder diesel hybrids than a V10 parade with 3 passes during the race.

All that said, I would STILL like to see both 4cyl Turbos and the big Vee engines.
Make it simple: weight, fuel, longevity and max power rules and let the damn chips fall where they may.

DeRat - Unregistered

June 21, 2011 3:01 PM

But if there must be a change then V6 twin Turbos may be cool.

DeRat

Pete - Unregistered

June 21, 2011 3:52 PM

@USF1 Fan - I agree the racing is more important than the engines but the engines contribute to the excitement, think back to what got you interested in F1/motorsport in the first place, I bet many fans would say they went to a race when they were young and loved the noise, just makes it seem so much more dramatic and makes the cars sound meaner and harder to drive.
I watched Grand Prix (the film) recently with a decent sound system hooked up, the noise the cars made was simply fantastic (even though they may not have been V12s) and in my opinion a big part of the film, if you substituted that sound with a 4 cylinder KERS engine buzzing along the film would lose much of its appeal and so would F1 in general I fear.

spaul40 - Unregistered

June 21, 2011 3:55 PM

Didn't F1 use turbocharged 4 cylinder engines back in the early days when Senna was driving - I believe they had well over 1000 HP - In fact, I believe they had close to 1500 HP. The proposed RPM limit for the current 4 cylinder turbo is 10500 RPM (I believe) which is garbage. The reason the F1 engines sound so good is that at 18,000 or 20,000 (old) RPM, any engine sounds good.

USF1_Fan - Unregistered

June 21, 2011 4:23 PM

@ Pete
I agree that the sound does play a factor I just think it is a lesser one than most of the other aspects required in F1.

As for engine SOUND- no engine sounds better to me than a BIG V8- around 400/450 cubic inches, ideally.
Big V12's- 4 to 6 liter- come in second.

The engines in the current F1 cars, spinning at 18k rpm just don't sound all that great to me. It's a high pitched whine, really.

I do understand the concern, and agree that turbo 1.6 motors are bound to sound worse. Almost all turbos do. (I make an exception for boxer turbos.)

That is just my opinion of course and I think I am likely to have far more "disagrees" than "agrees" on this post!

FrozenCandle

June 21, 2011 6:33 PM

I'm probably the only Formula 1 fan in the world that isn't fussed by how many cylinders the engines have. So long as F1 cars remain FAST and I get to see some good racing, I don't give a rats rear end about how large or small the engine is.

1 2 3 4  »